Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Small Claims Court a worthwhile route to recover money?

Options
  • 20-11-2019 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Long story short....

Paid a Roofing Company €800 last month to fix a leak in my roof but after two attempts, the leak remains. Roofer now won't return my calls, texts or emails despite him giving me a "15 year guarantee" on the repair.

Would the Small Claims Court be an option to recover the money as the Contractor hasn't fixed the problem that he was paid for, nor is he honouring his "15 year written guarantee" on the repair. While I have photos of the leak, both before and after his "repair work", would I also need a professional report to support my case? I'm not flush with funds and had to borrow the €800 for the failed repair job and so would be hesitant to throw good money after bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just recently raised a case against a large Swedish furniture retailer.
    Initial contact with their customer care was in July, 2 months of back and forth which ended with them trying to refer to the UK arbitration service.

Filed a case in September, a little back and forth via the registrar in which said retailer again broke the rules of the SCC by initiating direct contact on a couple of occasions rather than via the Registrar.

Case was settled last week.

Be thorough, document everything and follow the rules of the SCC and if you have a reasonable claim, you will be awarded judgement.
    The SCC will even manage collection for you(for a small fee) should the respondent not settle within the specified timeframe should you win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

banie01 wrote: »
    Just recently raised a case against a large Swedish furniture retailer.
    Initial contact with their customer care was in July, 2 months of back and forth which ended with them trying to refer to the UK arbitration service.

Filed a case in September, a little back and forth via the registrar in which said retailer again broke the rules of the SCC by initiating direct contact on a couple of occasions rather than via the Registrar.

Case was settled last week.

Be thorough, document everything and follow the rules of the SCC and if you have a reasonable claim, you will be awarded judgement.
    The SCC will even manage collection for you(for a small fee) should the respondent not settle within the specified timeframe should you win.

No they don't, all they do is issue a decree which you then use to employ the sheriff or county registrar (depends on location) to enforce the debt.

Advertisement