Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loud vibrations from boiler

Options
  • 19-11-2019 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

New combi boiler makes loud vibrating noises. Stuff on the other side of the wall it is on rattles. Had been happening about once a day, then once an hour and now every five or ten minutes. Even happening when it shouldn't be active at all, on eco mode so not cycling the hot water, no TRVs drawing heat. Awaiting appointment from plumbers who installed it. Most of the pipes and rads are old, in case that's relevant. Any ideas what this is likely to be?

Turned boiler off because noise was wrecking my head and likely to disturb my kid who is asleep. Is it advisable to leave it off as much as possible to avoid damage..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Could be an airlock. Bleed all rads and ré fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

New combi boiler makes loud vibrating noises. Stuff on the other side of the wall it is on rattles. Had been happening about once a day, then once an hour and now every five or ten minutes. Even happening when it shouldn't be active at all, on eco mode so not cycling the hot water, no TRVs drawing heat. Awaiting appointment from plumbers who installed it. Most of the pipes and rads are old, in case that's relevant. Any ideas what this is likely to be?

Turned boiler off because noise was wrecking my head and likely to disturb my kid who is asleep. Is it advisable to leave it off as much as possible to avoid damage..?

Is there a booster pump feeding the combi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

rightjob! wrote: »
    Is there a booster pump feeding the combi?
    Yes. The cold water tank in the attic was repurposed to serve as a reservoir for domestic pump. The pressure wasn't strong enough before that, and the mixer shower would cut out intermittently.

Turned boiler back on this morning. Ran hot tap and it sputtered a lot, let it run until it stopped.

Last night before it started happening I ran a bath for my kid. Left hot tap running too long while not in room, bath was pretty much filled with hot water. The washing machine was on at the same time. So I'm guessing the tank was emptied and the water was still being pulled - at a faster rate than it was being filled from the mains, so it was pulling lots of air in.

Is that what you were thinking rightjob! when you asked if there was a pump, or is there something else that it could be?

What do you do if you keep emptying your tank in this sort of set up? Get a bigger tank? Can you get the pump to turn off if it's not drawing water? I can turn the pump down anyway.

Its a combi more than likely its the pump making the noise,also if you run out of water a bigger storage tank is needed.

Is it the noise of the pump you are hearing rather than the boiler?

• Advertisement

rightjob! wrote: »
    Its a combi more than likely its the pump making the noise,also if you run out of water a bigger storage tank is needed.

Is it the noise of the pump you are hearing rather than the boiler?
    Definitely not the pump. Turned the boiler off to stop it last night. Left the pump on. Pretty sure it happens when the pump is off and the boiler on too. Also the pump is on the ground which is tiles on screed. The boiler is on the wall. Sometimes when it happens that wall vibrates hard enough to make stuff on the other side rattle.

Is it firing up when the vibration is on?
    Pre heat set on?
    Shouldn’t be vibrating obviously,but also if its firing up every few mins might be no non return on the cold feed to it.
    What boiler and post a photo?

No it's not necessarily firing or at least it shouldnt be. Preheat is off.
    Worcester Bosch Greenstar 25i ErP LPG

Advertisement