Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Triton Vition Mixer Shower - lukewarn water only

Options
  • 19-11-2019 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭

I've just replaced a 7 year old Triton Vitino thermostatic mixer shower with a new one sourced from Screwfix Ireland. About 2 years ago I replaced the thermostatic cartridge in the old one but recently it began to lose pressure and dripped the whole time so I decided to replace it rather than repair it again. I wouldn't have got another Triton but I wanted to avoid messing with tiles etc so felt that surely a new Triton unit would give me a least a few trouble free years use.

However, the new one isn't working properly. While the inlet pipe is hot the water from the shower is lukewarm at best even when the mixer control is turned fully to hottest setting. I even removed the anti-scald setting so that the temperature could be adjusted to max hot setting but it makes no difference to the temperature of the water coming from the shower. Normally I'd associate this issue with a faulty thermostatic cartridge but this yoke is brand new.

What else could be causing this issue? There are 2 other thermostatic mixer showers in the house (a Triton and Mira) which work fine so presumably its not a water pressure issue? Would fitting a lower flow rate regulator on the cold side help to balance the hot / cold mix or does the thermostatic cartridge compensate for different flow rates?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

creedp wrote: »
    I've just replaced a 7 year old Triton Vitino thermostatic mixer shower with a new one sourced from Screwfix Ireland. About 2 years ago I replaced the thermostatic cartridge in the old one but recently it began to lose pressure and dripped the whole time so I decided to replace it rather than repair it again. I wouldn't have got another Triton but I wanted to avoid messing with tiles etc so felt that surely a new Triton unit would give me a least a few trouble free years use.

However, the new one isn't working properly. While the inlet pipe is hot the water from the shower is lukewarm at best even when the mixer control is turned fully to hottest setting. I even removed the anti-scald setting so that the temperature could be adjusted to max hot setting but it makes no difference to the temperature of the water coming from the shower. Normally I'd associate this issue with a faulty thermostatic cartridge but this yoke is brand new.

What else could be causing this issue? There are 2 other thermostatic mixer showers in the house (a Triton and Mira) which work fine so presumably its not a water pressure issue? Would fitting a lower flow rate regulator on the cold side help to balance the hot / cold mix or does the thermostatic cartridge compensate for different flow rates?

The most likely cause is incorrect installation.

Has it ever worked correctly?

I'd be looking at what position you put the dial on. If you put it on in the wrong position then the dial will stop the cartridge turning all the way to hot but on the outside of the shower it will look like it's turned all the way to hot, if that makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭creedp

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The most likely cause is incorrect installation.

Has it ever worked correctly?

I'd be looking at what position you put the dial on. If you put it on in the wrong position then the dial will stop the cartridge turning all the way to hot but on the outside of the shower it will look like it's turned all the way to hot, if that makes any sense.

No its only installed a couple of weeks and has never produced hot water. When it didn't work properly initially I removed the anti-scald catch so I can turn the dial all the way from max cold to max hot to no avail.

I'm going to turn off the cold water supply and see if it makes any difference. Could the thermostatic cartridge be faulty from new?

creedp wrote: »
    No its only installed a couple of weeks and has never produced hot water. When it didn't work properly initially I removed the anti-scald catch so I can turn the dial all the way from max cold to max hot to no avail.

I'm going to turn off the cold water supply and see if it makes any difference. Could the thermostatic cartridge be faulty from new?

What model triton is it?

What model triton is it?

Its a Triton Vitino concentric thermostatic mini mixer shower.

http://secure.tritonshowers.co.uk/media/custom/upload/File-1361540534.pdf

Have you followed the fault finding on page 22?

Changing the position of the temperature control was my first thought

• Advertisement

http://secure.tritonshowers.co.uk/media/custom/upload/File-1361540534.pdf

Have you followed the fault finding on page 22?

Changing the position of the temperature control was my first thought

If you are referring to 2.2 then Yes. I removed the lever and can move the spindle to max hot and yet the water is lukewarm while the hot water inlet pipe feels much hotter.

However, I'm not clear what 2.1 involves. Does it involve opening up the shower unit and making some adjustment to some internal component?

As I said above this unit replaced an identical unit which worked fine for 7 years (subject to replacing the thermostatic cartridge 2 years ago) until a couple of month ago when the pressure became erratic and it stated dripping again.

I'd be very slow to install a new Triton shower again given my experience with 2 different showers over the last 7 years

creedp wrote:
    As I said above this unit replaced an identical unit which worked fine for 7 years (subject to replacing the thermostatic cartridge 2 years ago) until a couple of month ago when the pressure became erratic and it stated dripping again.

Try the cartridge from the old shower. If you still have the same problem then you know its not the cartridge

Advertisement