Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Arts with Psychology

• 19-11-2019 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

My dd is in 6th year and panicing a bit. She would like to get into the psychology degree but being realistic is unlikely to quite reach the points required. It will of course go on the CAO just in case. Failing that, shes looking at the Arts - Psychological studies course. In order to get PSI accreditation she would need to complete a one year post-grad. Entry into this is very competitive and places are limited. Shes worried about what she would do if she didnt get into this one year course as the accreditation is important. Research is the area shes interested in going into and I assume PSI accreditation would be important to have for that too. Has anyone got any advice? Its the same story with all the universities for psychology.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Playmobil

Have you considered the Psychology courses at Dun Laoghaire (360 points in 2019) or NCI (also 360)? Both Accredited courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I either think you need to be from a medical or psychology family or need to go out and get "that" life experience you need to drive you. Very few entering that course have it from my initial viewing. There is an 80% drop out in the first year. All the good psychologists or therapists I know all went back as mature students. There is no need to rush into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Playmobil

Hi skooterblue2,

Which course has the 80% drop out?

Playmobil wrote: »
    Hi skooterblue2,

Which course has the 80% drop out?

Maynooth was where I looked at it, I am sure it is similar elsewhere.
    In Maynooth you can do Psychology three ways.
    Psychology on its own.
    Psychology with Arts or with Science as double degrees. If you are wrong on either of the latter then you can fall back on your other option. It is a fiercely competitive course. It sounds cool to do and many do not comprehend that it either needs a strong background or life experience.

Know before you buy into it. I was courting it for two years before I realised it how tough the work market was and how little people were willing to invest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Upthewalls1

Its more the academic/research side she is interested in rather than working as a psychologist as such but I assume she would still need the further study after the Arts with psychological studies degree?

• Advertisement

Its more the academic/research side she is interested in rather than working as a psychologist as such but I assume she would still need the further study after the Arts with psychological studies degree?

Once my wife .told me how much money was involved and how much work and ass kissing had to be done to get up to the top tier, I was out. Based on what the government are funding psychology, if there was a war to be fought the army would be training with pointy sticks.

Advertisement