Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Water Cylinder query

Options
  • 19-11-2019 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Our Hot Water Cylinder (HWC) is allowing the heating system to bleed into the cylinder, evident by the colour of the water from the hot tap.

The cold tap from the tank is running clear. I've flushed the HWC a few times until clear but the colour changes back after a few hours. The heating system is also losing pressure over time and I have no evidence of leaks anywhere else in the house.

So I am shopping around for a new HWC and I am just wondering are the inlets and outlets to the cylinders at standard heights? Ideally I would like to pick up a HWC that I just swap out. The one currently fitted is a copper foam insulated one, manufacturer unknown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

This is what I have in mind as a replacement

<<Link>>

So after a bit more research I have even more questions.

Do you think it would be worth installing a 2 coil cylinder to allow for solar water heating that may be installed in the future?

And would it be worth installing an unvented cylinder so as to increase hot water pressure? Currently the hot water pressure is very bad. I was thinking that I could use the 1" vent pipe that feeds back to the water tank in the attic as the mains supply to the HWC. Is this normal practice?

I understand that these two additional options would require modifications to pipework and incur and additional cost with an expansion vessel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

davkav wrote: »
    So I am shopping around for a new HWC and I am just wondering are the inlets and outlets to the cylinders at standard heights?

No, different manufacturers can put them in similar positions, but it doesn't mean that they are the same.
    Ideally I would like to pick up a HWC that I just swap out. The one currently fitted is a copper foam insulated one, manufacturer unknown.

How are your plumbing and electrical skills for this sort of work?
    This is what I have in mind as a replacement

<<Link>>

Standard enough, but no guarantee that the connections are in the same position.
    So after a bit more research I have even more questions.

Do you think it would be worth installing a 2 coil cylinder to allow for solar water heating that may be installed in the future?

No harm in forward planning and having it available if you do install solar.
    And would it be worth installing an unvented cylinder so as to increase hot water pressure? Currently the hot water pressure is very bad.
    Yes, there are advantages to unvented cylinders, especially if you are looking to increase pressure on the hot side.
    I was thinking that I could use the 1" vent pipe that feeds back to the water tank in the attic as the mains supply to the HWC. Is this normal practice?

Absolutely Not!
    The installation of an unvented hot water cylinder is a very very different task compared to a standard cylinder.
    This is not a DIY job.
    It requires knowledge and skills to ensure correct installation.
    Also, by connecting directly to water mains you will contravene water supply and building codes.
    You will need a break tank and pump configuration.
    Also an unvented cylinder has several safety devices, all of which must be installed correctly.

With respect and given your questions i would suggest that you do not attempt to install one yourself as it has the potential to go horribly wrong.
    I understand that these two additional options would require modifications to pipework and incur and additional cost with an expansion vessel etc.
    An unvented cylinder installation will incur extra costs by paying for the right person to do the job correctly.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    No, different manufacturers can put them in similar positions, but it doesn't mean that they are the same.
    How are your plumbing and electrical skills for this sort of work?

No harm in forward planning and having it available if you do install solar.

Yes, there are advantages to unvented cylinders, especially if you are looking to increase pressure on the hot side.

Absolutely Not!
    The installation of an unvented hot water cylinder is a very very different task compared to a standard cylinder.
    This is not a DIY job.
    It requires knowledge and skills to ensure correct installation.
    Also, by connecting directly to water mains you will contravene water supply and building codes.
    You will need a break tank and pump configuration.
    Also an unvented cylinder has several safety devices, all of which must be installed correctly.

Thanks, great info.

Yep, after further research I will most definitely not be fitting an unvented cylinder myself. As I've said, I've done a bit more research and didn't realise that there was so much regulation around fitting them and the safety systems involved.

I have decided to go with a stainless vented 2 coil cylinder which I will fit myself.

Advertisement