Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox questions - Flight Sim

• 19-11-2019 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I don't own an Xbox currently (nor have I ever - so I'm a complete newb) but I see that Microsoft are releasing Flight Simulator 2020 next year on both PC and Xbox platforms. The Xbox version interests me and I was just wondering if you guys might know the following:

1) Can a keyboard (qwerty) be used in conjunction with an Xbox One? The older PC Flight Sim games had hundreds of commands so this is a must. (I assume the PC and Xbox version would have similar keys?)
    2) Are there any decent controllers such as joysticks that are compatible?
    3) Is the One X the latest console out? I assume I would need this to run it? (don't have a 4k TV currently though)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Regarding a stick, I got one of these for Elite Dangerous: https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/steering-wheels/thrustmaster-t-flight-hotas-one-xbox-one-pc/p/169145?gclid=CjwKCAiAws7uBRAkEiwAMlbZjqOcmqShfIb9D981fiJLG-qx-hk70SAacxw59-x9BtqDJVt8oezbSxoCq8oQAvD_BwE

I got it a bit cheaper than the above by buying direct from Thrustmaster themselves. It a feels a bit cheap and plasticky but it's good enough otherwise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Veloce wrote: »
    Hi all,

I don't own an Xbox currently (nor have I ever - so I'm a complete newb) but I see that Microsoft are releasing Flight Simulator 2020 next year on both PC and Xbox platforms. The Xbox version interests me and I was just wondering if you guys might know the following:

1) Can a keyboard (qwerty) be used in conjunction with an Xbox One? The older PC Flight Sim games had hundreds of commands so this is a must. (I assume the PC and Xbox version would have similar keys?)
    3) Is the One X the latest console out? I assume I would need this to run it? (don't have a 4k TV currently though)

Thanks in advance.

Some Xbox games support keyboards, most don't. I'd imagine that Flight Simulator will have keyboard support. I'd also assume that it'll be the same keyboard layout between PC and Xbox.

I don't actually know if there are any joysticks available, but only because I've never had to look into it.

The One X is the latest one out, but it'll work on the One, One S, or the One X. It'll also work on the next gen console coming out next year. We won't really know how much difference there is resolution/performance wise between the X and the rest until the game is out, but the X is the best right now.

One thing to note is that this game will probably require a good internet connection. A lot of the data is actually held on Microsofts servers, and streamed to your console/PC as you play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Veloce wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

1) Xbox supports mouse and keyboard through USB, if it is a wired Keyboard, you just plug it in, if its wireless I think it needs a dongle to be put in.

2) Mickeroo has answered this, I'm sure there is various others too

3) at the moment Xbox one X is the current gen console and that has 4k support, the next gen console is currently in development called Project Scarlett, and should be releasing this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Thank you all for your responses - very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

FYI, it's a PC release firstly, with the Xbox release coming sometime afterwards :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

marcbrophy wrote: »
    FYI, it's a PC release firstly, with the Xbox release coming sometime afterwards :)
    I cannot wait to play it. I always remember Merrill C Meigs as the default airport in some of the previous games.

Advertisement