Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Staying in Brighton, working in London...anyone with practical experience?

Options
  • 18-11-2019 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

I'm self-employed and a new contract has me in to London for weekly stays (estimate will be 2 maybe 3 weeks in the month) for the next 3 months
    Victoria area. I'm not inexperienced but it's 15 years since I've done a stint in London & the accommodation costs are simply breathtaking. I've tried calculating on several variations but they're all horrendous money even Airbnb is heavy..when all's said and done it would be barely worth the effort.

One idea I had however is to locate instead down in Brighton & take the Gatwick Express in daily, there's an affordable 7-day Carnet ticket apparently & the Airbnb deals down there look a different ballgame from what I can see you'd get twice the gaff for half the spend. I had also seriously considered a campervan but it's a professional position dunno how that would play out :)

Anyone have current practical experience of this particular scenario? also happy to hear about any other clever angles other contractors might have learned along the way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

I can't see why it wouldn't work if your ok with a 1 hr commute time.

Great train service up till really late at night as well. Trains every 15 mins or less.

Btw there are loads of other places within an hour or less outside London that you could look at.

Eg Slough. You can get into Paddington 25-40 mins.
    http://m.nationalrail.co.uk/pj/plan/SLO/PAD/251119/0800/dep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Reading has a fast train into Paddington and gives a quick commute time and lots of options of cheaper housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I lived in Brighton and commuted to London for a while and it worked well. In fact, I even enjoyed the journey: an hour or so of "me time", and with Brighton being the start point for the train I could guarantee getting a seat in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The Brighton train to the city sounds fine.

I live in London and my commute is 90 minutes, so you can get from Brighton to Victoria in around 62 minutes (depending on the train) which is perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭martco

thanks all
    gonna go with the Brighton idea
    an hour or so isn't the worst
    good chance the work will extend further into the early summer & thinking being near the sea could be nicer for the oul soul too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

martco wrote: »
    thanks all
    gonna go with the Brighton idea
    an hour or so isn't the worst
    good chance the work will extend further into the early summer & thinking being near the sea could be nicer for the oul soul too
    If you get a place within walking distance of Brighton Station then you can stroll to the train which will be waiting for you, and you can choose where to sit - one of the great pleasures of commuting from Brighton. If you commute from stations closer to London, you and fellow passengers have to stand in the rain waiting for the train to arrive and then jostle each other to grab a suitable seat. Good places for commuting from Brighton Station are the Seven Dials/West Hill area, the Hanover area and the North Laine area.

Advertisement