Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heater/mains timer problem?

Options
  • 18-11-2019 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Received an esb bill 400 Euro above average. Meter was read and so was the last bill in September. Myself and my oh are rarely in the house and we are very good with insuring things are switched off. The only thing it can be is the storage heaters. This has got me thinking...
    The only major thing that has changed in the last billing cycle is that the time changed. The night rate is from 11-8.
    Our house has storage heaters in the communal areas. There is no timer on them and I’m not sure how they are programmed
    We have noticed a clunk each morning and night(this used to be at 11pm and 8am and it’s now an hour earlier
    Is this the meter change?? To me it sounds like it’s the only thing it can be

Anyways if it is, is it possible that the storage heaters are inputting during the day rate time for an hour or two? This is the only thing I can see possible

The house is rented with an agency..

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭This is it

skinny90 wrote: »
    Hi all

Received an esb bill 400 Euro above average. Meter was read and so was the last bill in September. Myself and my oh are rarely in the house and we are very good with insuring things are switched off. The only thing it can be is the storage heaters. This has got me thinking...
    The only major thing that has changed in the last billing cycle is that the time changed. The night rate is from 11-8.
    Our house has storage heaters in the communal areas. There is no timer on them and I’m not sure how they are programmed
    We have noticed a clunk each morning and night(this used to be at 11pm and 8am and it’s now an hour earlier
    Is this the meter change?? To me it sounds like it’s the only thing it can be

Anyways if it is, is it possible that the storage heaters are inputting during the day rate time for an hour or two? This is the only thing I can see possible

The house is rented with an agency..

Any ideas ?

Yes, the clunk is the changeover to the nightsaver and back again. Even if the storage heaters were on for an extra hour on the day rate due to time change this would not cause a €400 increase in billing.

Can you compare the actual reading with what's on the meter and ensure they're correspond?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

This is it wrote: »
    Yes, the clunk is the changeover to the nightsaver and back again. Even if the storage heaters were on for an extra hour on the day rate due to time change this would not cause a €400 increase in billing.

Can you compare the actual reading with what's on the meter and ensure they're correspond?

What if the Immersion was timmed on what we thought and the notes from the manufacturer was the appropriate setting, aswell as the 2 storage heaters? We have since changed and controlled the immersion but can’t get a way to change the time it takes the storage heaters to come on and off..

I have compared the bills and they are correct with what’s on the meter So I’m working with what’s plugged in and used normally. Nothing has changed in the routine. It’s not like an oil system we’re we are using more energy to heat a house. The input and output of the heaters has been the same so the timing issue is all I can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

This is it wrote: »

Good to know I know what that clunk is :-) thanks for the reply so far

Advertisement