Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to SKY HD..

Options
  • 17-11-2019 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Hi Guy's.

Getting sick of SKY and want a alternative like IPTV, I know absolutely nothing but I have 4 Smart TV'S and getting 50 meg broadband soon.

I would like to get most of the common stations like Channel 4, BBC, UTV, and then the normal kids and documentaries...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

sugarman wrote: »
    Cant talk about IPTV on here unless youre referring to Eir or Vodafone TV, which I assume youre not.

Since you have Sky / a dish installed already.. why not just get a FTA Sat box? You'll still get your BBCs, ITVs, Channel 4s etc..

You can even get a combo box to combine Saorview, giving you the Irish stations too.

Any idea where I'd get one of them? I've no bother paying a Sub for something legit but I've a pain in the hoop with SKY.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Truckermal wrote: »
    Hi Guy's.

Getting sick of SKY and want a alternative like IPTV, I know absolutely nothing but I have 4 Smart TV'S and getting 50 meg broadband soon.

I would like to get most of the common stations like Channel 4, BBC, UTV, and then the normal kids and documentaries...

Thanks.

Just stop paying then. All the channels mentioned are free to air, except possible documentaries, and can be received on a sky box without subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

winston_1 wrote: »
    Just stop paying then. All the channels mentioned are free to air, except possible documentaries, and can be received on a sky box without subscription.

This is correct however using the Sky box to receive the FTA channels is a dreadful experience. There are too many channels that will not be receivable clogging up the guide and you may find it difficult to change the EPG to the UK based on (depending on the box).

A combo-box to pick up the Irish channels through an aerial and the free UK channels through satellite would be a much better experience. You can then order the channels whatever way you like. Most of them also offer record functionality.

I've also dealt with the folks at freetv.ie and they are very good. Certainly worth having a chat with them and they can recommend something to suit your needs.

Advertisement