Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a diagnosis really needed for disability?

Options
  • 16-11-2019 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I'd really appreciate some advice right now. I went to get my disability form signed yesterday only to have my doctor refuse to do so because I don't have an official diagnosis yet. The road to getting one is very long and I've already been waiting months. I'm in excruciating pain every single day and there's no way I could work right now but he said my application would be rejected anyway because pain isn't a reason to not be working. He said to go on job seekers instead, which I assumed was not something I could do because like I said, I can't actually go out and work. I suppose I'd be able to do something if it was at home online but I don't believe that option is even available? It's not a pick and choose kind of situation, right? He kept bringing up courses and meetings as if I could actually attend them. Every part of my life is impacted by this. I went from walking almost 10k a day to spending the majority of my days in bed. He completely dismissed my struggle and I was too stunned to even fight back.

My appointments and treatments for this pain are quickly adding up and my family cannot afford to financially support me for much longer. I have never had a job before this so I think that makes things even more complicated. Can someone offer some advice? Do I really need an official diagnosis to apply? How does severe pain not count as some sort of disability, at least temporarily? Do I have any other options? Do I need to find another doctor and get a second opinion? I'm so sorry to sound so whiny but this felt like my last resort and I don't know what to do next.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

lightson28 wrote: »
    I'd really appreciate some advice right now. I went to get my disability form signed yesterday only to have my doctor refuse to do so because I don't have an official diagnosis yet. The road to getting one is very long and I've already been waiting months. I'm in excruciating pain every single day and there's no way I could work right now but he said my application would be rejected anyway because pain isn't a reason to not be working. He said to go on job seekers instead, which I assumed was not something I could do because like I said, I can't actually go out and work. I suppose I'd be able to do something if it was at home online but I don't believe that option is even available? It's not a pick and choose kind of situation, right? He kept bringing up courses and meetings as if I could actually attend them. Every part of my life is impacted by this. I went from walking almost 10k a day to spending the majority of my days in bed. He completely dismissed my struggle and I was too stunned to even fight back.

My appointments and treatments for this pain are quickly adding up and my family cannot afford to financially support me for much longer. I have never had a job before this so I think that makes things even more complicated. Can someone offer some advice? Do I really need an official diagnosis to apply? How does severe pain not count as some sort of disability, at least temporarily? Do I have any other options? Do I need to find another doctor and get a second opinion? I'm so sorry to sound so whiny but this felt like my last resort and I don't know what to do next.

Walking 10k a day but NEVER had a job?
    Id imagine you can't be signed off with a disability as no-one has diagnosed what's wrong with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It doesn't really make sense to be able to receive disability benefit without a diagnosis. However you can get generic diagnoses where specific conditions cannot be identified. For example there was some term used to describe what was essentially chronic vomiting and abdominal pain which was essentially severe and debilitating IBS for which disability allowance was granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If diagnosis was not "really needed" I'm sure you can appreciate how such a system would be abused?

Yes it's a necessity, and even a diagnosis may not be sufficient to allow a disability claim.
    Diagnosis comes with tailored treatment of cause rather than symptoms.
    It also comes with prognosis, and that may well be that once treatment is commenced that no continued disablement would preclude you from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

You need to be diagnosed before been granted disability, even then it will not guarantee you will receive it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Has your doctor referred you for tests or scans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lightson28

Has your doctor referred you for tests or scans?

Yes. I'm waiting to hear from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lightson28

Rodin wrote: »
    Walking 10k a day but NEVER had a job?
    Id imagine you can't be signed off with a disability as no-one has diagnosed what's wrong with you.

I was a full time carer for a sick family member but I didn't feel the need to include that. Your snarky reply isn't appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭hawthorne

A diagnosis is not needed.
    You can get the diagnosis of having cancer, but when it does not affect your ability to work, it is meaningless.
    Looking at how you describe the way your condition affects your life, I can see already that you surely have a health problem.
    To get DA, you have to proof that your condition prevents you from taking up any work. SW is not looking for a diagnosis- but proof that you cannot work.You should work from this one.
    A detailed written description of a typical day in your life as part of your application for DA is surely of great benefit.
    If you have the feeling that your doctor does not understand you, you should consider changing over to a different doctor. There seems to be a communication problem between you and him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You won’t get DA while you’re a patient of this GP. You and he/she are in total disagreement about the extent of your incapacity and in fact he/she is totally correct to refuse to sign off on a certificate that they can’t, in all conscience, stand over.
    You need to look for another GP.
    In the current climate that’s very tricky as they are all full to capacity AND if you are a medical card patient, then medical cards are refusing a lot of transfers.
    I’m sorry for your distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Why would they give you a disability payment when you haven't been diagnosed with a disability.

Cant you just apply for ja?

• Advertisement
Advertisement