Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hissing/whistling TRVs

Options
  • 16-11-2019 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

We have Bosch Smart TRVs that make a hissing sound like a tap running while they are open. This is because they are not opening fully. I know this because I can get it to be quiet by loosening them a little. However when I do that they don't close completely when they are off.

Saw one review that referred to them being noisy and making the pipes vibrate, but another that said they were almost silent, and most don't mention sound either way. So I don't think it's an issue intrinsically with the particular product, though I wonder I'd the pin is not a good match or something.

They make a whirring as they actually open or close but that is fine. The ongoing hissing like a tap is annoying though. Is there something I can try doing to fix this?

Notified the company that set them up of this and a couple of other issues, and they are going to arrange to inspect the system.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I had a similar problem, but had gotten used to it. Hitting the boost function on the smart valve sometimes fixed it until next heating cycle.

Accidently fixed it when I replaced the circulating pump with a modulating one.
    Not saying that this will fix yours. Next time it happens, turn down your pump to see if that helps. Don't forget to put it back where it was.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

The plumber came out to look at this and other stuff. He changed the setting on the pump so it modulates according to demand. It seemed to have fixed the problem but I was turning the thermostat up to max to test/demo it. Realised later that it still is loud when the thermostat is a little higher than the current temperature. (So it happens when the rad is partially on, but not fully on.)

I'll find a manual and experiment with different settings.

Advertisement