Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which MTB for ~1K

Options
  • 15-11-2019 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

New to the sport and and looking to mainly do Ballyhoura / wood trails
    I had decided on the x-caliber 8 as a good all-rounder but for the extra 100 euro the roscoe looks to be a much better trail bike? - more sus trvel, dropper post, mid fat tyres. Gears are the same on both but will the fat tyres and extra weight make it a slow uphill bike? (note the engine is very lethargic)

xcal 8 is prob a much better road bike , would the roscoe be terrible on road with those tyres?

x-caliber-8

or Roscoe 7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Check out the bike park Ireland stock, they had some great deals available on ex hire bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cyborg

Cheers but it's gotta be new- buying on btw scheme
    Check out the bike park Ireland stock, they had some great deals available on ex hire bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

cyborg wrote: »
    Cheers but it's gotta be new- buying on btw scheme

They had some new stuff, I'd try them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Of those two it would be the roscoe for me. The dropper alone is worth more than the extra over the xcaliber.

I wouldn't be to concerned about the weight as neither are light weights. The roscoe will be plenty more capable than the xcaliber and both have a lock out so should pedal similarly. The plus tyres would be a benefit in ballyhoura and with tubeless ready rims and dropper it's a nice little set up.

100mm of travel isn't a huge amount but if you find you want/need more you could swap out the fork without messing up the geometry to much I'd say.

If you're looking for a pedally machine that's also well capable on most trails you'll come across over here the nuke proof scout 290 is another option. Personally I don't like 29r but they're very good at climbing and equally at home on the down hills.

Advertisement