Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet issue

Options
  • 15-11-2019 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Over the last few days I have spotted something with our upstairs toilet which I haven't noticed before. When the toilet is flushed it flushes as normal and the water will sit at the level for a few seconds but then it will recede down the trap and slowly refill. Sometimes it fills to its level and sometimes not.

Is this an issue? Anything I can do to try and sort it myself or is it a job for a professional?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

markc1184 wrote: »
    Over the last few days I have spotted something with our upstairs toilet which I haven't noticed before. When the toilet is flushed it flushes as normal and the water will sit at the level for a few seconds but then it will recede down the trap and slowly refill. Sometimes it fills to its level and sometimes not.

Is this an issue? Anything I can do to try and sort it myself or is it a job for a professional?

You are close to a blockage, probably due to a big ball of tissue in the pipe. give it a couple of more flushes in quick succession and it might move it on with the pressure of water behind it. Maybe lift an AJ cover at the bottom of the pipe and see if anything if flowing after the toilet flush as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

In ours that’s a sign that a blockage has already happened.

The see-saw effect is caused by the level of backed up sludge in the manhole moving up and down from the flush entering it.

Either way your in trouble and need to start investigating before it starts to overflow somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

I've just been out and lifted the AJ cover and had my partner flush the toilet. The water seems to be flowing from the house side without issue. Does this mean a blockage would be on the other side of the junction or could it still on the toilet side. I cam get a loan of some rods, would it be worth using these?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I've just been out and lifted the AJ cover and had my partner flush the toilet. The water seems to be flowing from the house side without issue. Does this mean a blockage would be on the other side of the junction or could it still on the toilet side. I cam get a loan of some rods, would it be worth using these?

If the AJ is clear then any issue (if there is one) is upstream towards the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

Because your AJ is lower than the toilet, if the problem was in the pipe line running away from the house the issue will show at the AJ first.
    There might be a rodding eye at the 90' bend where the pipe comes out from the wall https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Soil-Access-Bend-110mm-x-90-degree-1-socket-with-screwed-access-door-Black.html?filter_set[]=1891,1902

Unscrew the cap and see if there is a blockage and maybe rod it to be sure

• Advertisement
Advertisement