Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic website - ballpark cost?

Options
  • 15-11-2019 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

i'm looking to get a website built, six/seven pages for a small business. I was previously with Sitebuilder but got little new business from the website and Sitebuilder kept putting the premium up every year.

Just wondering what kind of cost I'm looking at for something not too fancy or widget-filled or if there are any designers out there interested?

I'm in Kildare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Approx 1k

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you're looking for a professional website, then ballpark in the range of €3-5k for a lead generation site, or €5-8k for an entry-level ecommerce site. Those are typical numbers for a good quality SME website without any complicating factors.

There is a grant, known as the Trading Online Voucher Scheme, available from your Local Enterprise Office that pays 50% of the ex-VAT price, up to €2,500 in total.

OP, this company is based in Northern Ireland: Spiral Hosting. Reasonable rates. BREXIT may have an impact here. I used them a few years ago, but closed down my website hosted by them due to family commitments. To make enquiries, send an email to Spiral Hosting Sales <sales@spiralhosting.com>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Depends really,

Is it just a static website, e.g. no content management system such as wordpress or anything like that?

Does it need to be ecommerce?

Do you need hosting / any other dev ops infrastructure set up behind it.

Do you need on going maintenance with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭in2dark

i'm looking to get a website built, six/seven pages for a small business. I was previously with Sitebuilder but got little new business from the website and Sitebuilder kept putting the premium up every year.

Just wondering what kind of cost I'm looking at for something not too fancy or widget-filled or if there are any designers out there interested?

I'm in Kildare.

As previous posters said it really depends on the content and type.

If it is a non ecommerce one you could get away with 600-800 for a solid modern mobile friendly solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Note down your requirements and mail a few local places for quotes.

For instance;
    1. Visitor Interaction: what will visitors be able to do on this website? List all the activities they will complete while visiting.
    2. Editing, Updates and Administration: how will the website be updated? Define the process for adding new content and making editorial changes.
    3. Sitemap and Navigation: what is the structure of the website? List the sections and content categories of the website.
    4. Content Management: how will content be managed on a day-to-day basis? Is there a need for a Web Content Management System?
    5. Tracking: what are the reporting needs of the website? Define a list of Key Performance Indicators that stakeholders and other interested people need.
    6. Search Engine Optimisation: how will the website be 'promoted' in organic search results? List the items and activities to enable this, such as, a unique title and description tag on every page.
    7. Editor Interface: how will editors update website content? Define the editor environment and everything required to allow editors to do their job.
    8. Accessibility: how will people with special needs use the website? List the requirements to allow access by screen-readers etc.
    9. Styling and Design: what is the look, feel and brand of the website? Identify the broad styling and design considerations.
    10. Security: what will be in place to make sure the website is secure and safe for visitors to use? List all security considerations.
    11. Hosting: how will the website be hosted? Identify the type of hosting (cloud or physical servers) and the site (own hosting or third-party).
    12. Maintenance and Support: what are the requirements for supporting the website? Define the time periods and level of support needed, including disaster recovery and service continuity.
    13. Other Requirements: list anything not covered in other sections of the document.
    14. Exclusions: anything that will not be delivered as part of this project.
    15. Considerations: list anything that needs accounting for as part of this work and any constraints that may exist.
    16. Assumptions: list any assumptions made about the proposed website.

If you don't ask for something, don't expect it will be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

biko wrote: »
    If you don't ask for something, don't expect it will be included.

For the most part I agree with this.

Low cost providers will give you exactly what you ask for, and not an inch more.

Higher cost providers will usually help you figure out what you need (often called discovery, roadmapping, diagnosis or similar).

I find that "You get what you pay for" tends to hold true. (I have done some research that backs this up).

Advertisement