Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garda Sergeants who previously failed an Interview

• 14-11-2019 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭

The Garda Commissioner has announced that any Sergeant who failed to get through the second round of an interview process will now be promoted regardless. I'm not hugely familiar with how the process works but surely if somebody is deemed incompetent to proceed to promotion based on an interview, the can't now be deemed competent just because the Guards are short staffed? Could they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Must be no guards browsing tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Gerry G wrote: »
    The Garda Commissioner has announced that any Sergeant who failed to get through the second round of an interview process will now be promoted regardless. I'm not hugely familiar with how the process works but surely if somebody is deemed incompetent to proceed to promotion based on an interview, the can't now be deemed competent just because the Guards are short staffed? Could they?

Just because someone does not get passed an interview does not mean they are not competent for the position.

GM228 wrote: »
    Just because someone does not get passed an interview does not mean they are not competent for the position.

So what's the point of the interview in the first place then?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭yesto24

GM228 wrote: »

So why have an interview in the first place?

yesto24 wrote: »
    So why have an interview in the first place?

I've done many interviews over the years. Never been told I didn't get the job and them a few weeks later been told, actually, ya know what, you can have the job after all. Sounds bizarre to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭granturismo

Maybe there was a quota in previous round and anyone who made the mark but didnt get promoted is now getting promoted to save having to start a new round of applications?

Maybe there was a quota in previous round and anyone who made the mark but didnt get promoted is now getting promoted to save having to start a new round of applications?

That makes no sense. Why not just fill the quota first time around. It's as if they'll be getting a promotion just for participating

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Allinall

Gerry G wrote: »

Any link to exactly what he said?

Allinall wrote: »
    Any link to exactly what he said?

Gardaí who failed in last promotion competition to be bumped up to sergeant rank https://jrnl.ie/4891544

Doubt there's anything out there showing exactly what he said, this is all that's in the media so far

Apparently the incumbents are getting a lot of stick from their colleagues too..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

"not selected after first round interviews" does not mean failed. It simply means there were better candidates at the time for the number of positions

Now there is a requirement for more Sergeants, so they go back to the original panel of applicants rather than jumping through six months of hoops having a new competition.

Sounds pragmatic to me and we the public should be happy, more leadership in the guards sooner?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

sdanseo wrote: »

Sounds pragmatic to me and we the public should be happy, more leadership in the guards sooner?

I'd disagree.

You have a lot of good sergeants, but some simply are not up to the job, so allowing those who did not meet the grade to progress before further training will bring the standards down.

I've experienced phenomenal incompetence by a sergeant and they are going through a disciplinary process along with a junior garda who was equally culpable in the situation.

If I gave details, you would not actually believe the level of incompetence they displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,088 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

silver2020 wrote: »
    I'd disagree.

You have a lot of good sergeants, but some simply are not up to the job, so allowing those who did not meet the grade to progress before further training will bring the standards down.

I've experienced phenomenal incompetence by a sergeant and they are going through a disciplinary process along with a junior garda who was equally culpable in the situation.

If I gave details, you would not actually believe the level of incompetence they displayed.

You dont know they didnt meet the grade or are not up to the job. The gardai hold a competition for sargeants. they only have 10 places for promotion available. If an applicant did not get into that top 10 it does not mean they did not meet the grade. It is not pass/fail. They pick the 10 best. It does not mean whoever finished in 11th place was incompetent for the role. Forming panels of unsuccessful applicants is commonplace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

Drew Harris is highly divisive and polarising. He should never have been appointed as Garda Commissioner.

Charlie Flanagan is also extremely divisive and polarising. He should not be Minister for Justice.

Perceptions matter. Public opinion matters. Morale in the Gardai is very low and Charlie is a big part of that, as is Drew.

Charlie is constantly subverting our courts by overriding their considered decisions.

The credibility of our police force is under attack by Charlie, and nobody seems willing to say stop.

Drew Harris is highly divisive and polarising. He should never have been appointed as Garda Commissioner.

Charlie Flanagan is also extremely divisive and polarising. He should not be Minister for Justice.

Perceptions matter. Public opinion matters. Morale in the Gardai is very low and Charlie is a big part of that, as is Drew.

Charlie is constantly subverting our courts by overriding their considered decisions.

The credibility of our police force is under attack by Charlie, and nobody seems willing to say stop.

All of this is as relevant to the topic as what i had for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're implying that everyone who was not selected last time, will be promoted.

As far as I can see from the article, they have selected 168 members who last time were good enough but there just weren't enough positions to accomodate them all.

There'll be a "basic clearance process" - i.e. their superiors will sign off to make sure they're still the same quality of Garda they were in 2017 - and then they'll be promoted.

Morale-wise I would expect this will be a huge boost. Some of those members may have decided they weren't going to bother trying to get promoted again, or may have been dreading the thought of having to go through the whole thing again.

Drew Harris made the unpopular decision to accept previously failed candidates. Therefore, he is relevant, as is the manner of his appointment, by Charlie Flanagan.

What is Drew's purpose in accepting potentially sub-standard candidates?

Charlie Flanagan is very divisive and that matters.

Drew Harris made the unpopular decision to accept previously failed candidates. Therefore, he is relevant, as is the manner of his appointment, by Charlie Flanagan.

What is Drew's purpose in accepting potentially sub-standard candidates?

Charlie Flanagan is very divisive and that matters.

there is nothing to suggest they are substandard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I wasn't aware of this. Any examples to back it up?

BaronVon wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of this. Any examples to back it up?

It's the internet. People don't need evidence to back up their crap.

• Advertisement

Charlie is reversing many deportation orders.

Those deportations were considered decisions of the courts and Charlie is pooh-poohing them, and over-riding them.

No different from Trump and his pardons, as I said.

Either we have judges making decisions or we don't.

Charlie's appointment of Drew Harris is very divisive and unpopular.

Charlie is reversing many deportation orders.

Those deportations were considered decisions of the courts and Charlie is pooh-poohing them, and over-riding them.

No different from Trump and his pardons, as I said.

Either we have judges making decisions or we don't.

Charlie's appointment of Drew Harris is very divisive and unpopular.

What does this have to do with the topic of the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭quokula

I'd disagree.

Interviews aren't some robotic pass / fail test.

I've interviewed many candidates in the private sector. If you have lets say one vacancy and ten interviews, the second place candidate doesn't get the job. But then the first placed candidate pulls out and you go back to them. Or circumstances change and you get funding for an extra hire and you go back to them. It's perfectly normal. You can of course start the whole hiring process again with a new set of candidates in those circumstances, but it's time consuming, expensive, and doesn't guarantee you'll find anyone better (especially as your ten interviewees were already through prescreening from the hundreds of initial applications, so you're actually removing some of the best options from your pool of potential hires by not considering them)

And it might turn out the guy who was your second choice at interview performed better on the job than the first choice, because it's not an exact science and it's literally impossible to precisely tell from some interviews how someone will perform and grow day in and day out over a career.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

Well said Quokula.....I love when level headed people bring some balance to a conversation.

Advertisement