Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locked Classrooms

Options
  • 14-11-2019 3:14pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any guidelines in regard to internal locks in school? My son is in a section of the school that is only accessible via electronic locks. Entrance and exit, with staff having cards to access.

He's isolated enough without being locked in, and I don't approve of this. We were never advised he would be in a locked area.

This is in a school specifically for children on the spectrum. The school have advised that the locks are for general health and safety, and not specific to him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Would that not be a safety perspective for flight risk? Or is it case that it's a room just for him he's locked into ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

+1 on the flight risk reasoning

OP said it's a school for kids on the spectrum

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That's the thing, all of the kids are on the spectrum. His suite of rooms has an additional lock that no other classroom has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Do they close the gate of the schoolyard too?

Outside gate is locked. Main door is locked. Within the main door, out of the ~80 kids in the school, 3 are behind further electronic locks.

• Advertisement

Weird did you ask the school what the situation was ?

They cited health and safety, but not in regard to my son. It doesn't make sense, so I've had to complain to the board of management. Hopefully they'll see sense and remove those locks.

Do you have a local TD that you could talk to also ? When it comes to anything in public sector sometimes you need political support for it to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

This is quite normal in special needs schools and autistic units,i would not look at it only as your child been locked in it is also an extra defense to keep others out.it will be soon practiced in all schools as it is part of health and safety it is also required for insurance needs.
    It also could have bearing to the severity of your child's diagnoses,extreme cases can need extra requirements under health and safety

Advertisement