Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/Cheapest sapling source for an organised planting

Options
  • 14-11-2019 2:28pm

Hello folks,

I’m interested in buying ~400 saplings to donate to my local national school so they can do a planting nearby and each child will get their own sapling to plant.

I was just wondering where would be the best place to acquire the saplings and whether there are places doing bulk deals on such.

I’m familiar with the https://www.treesontheland.com/ initiative but don’t necessarily want to be tied to their set planting dates etc.

Any advice would be a great help, thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Unless you want to buy on line (I personally think Future Forests has a very good service) then you should probably add your location to aid in answering the question.

Councils get an allocation of saplings for National Tree Week in March- they also have the option to buy extra so it may be possible to approach it that way. Kay in the in National Tree Council may be able to advise further.

baaba maal wrote: »
    Unless you want to buy on line (I personally think Future Forests has a very good service) then you should probably add your location to aid in answering the question.

Councils get an allocation of saplings for National Tree Week in March- they also have the option to buy extra so it may be possible to approach it that way. Kay in the in National Tree Council may be able to advise further.

Great I’ll have a look at future forest thanks, location is south Dublin btw

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Van der Vel in Aughrim would be worth a call so- I would mention the purpose as you probably want a mix of trees to further improve the biodiversity aspect. Other things to consider:

Has the site owner given permission?
    What is the soil like? (wet/dry clay/sandy)
    Are there overhead cables? (amazes me how many people don't look up when picking a site for a tree)
    If on school property, does the school have a policy on nuts? If not, a few hazel would go well in a mixed woodland.

I dealt with a school once and was told that they couldn't allow any pollinating fruit trees to be planted in case somebody with an allergy to bee stings got stung. The same school had a non-native flowering hedge along half of it's boundary- but perception is sometimes an awful thing!

Hope it goes well. And well done on the initiative!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Also try, None so Hardy Nurseries in Shillelagh, most species are between 35-50 cent if buying 100 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Hello folks,

I’m interested in buying ~400 saplings to donate to my local national school so they can do a planting nearby and each child will get their own sapling to plant.

I was just wondering where would be the best place to acquire the saplings and whether there are places doing bulk deals on such.

I’m familiar with the https://www.treesontheland.com/ initiative but don’t necessarily want to be tied to their set planting dates etc.

Any advice would be a great help, thank you

I'd go with None so Hardy, their quality is high, service good, and they supply most of the commercial planting.
    tim

• Advertisement
Advertisement