Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a flush of system required when installing new boiler?

Options
  • 14-11-2019 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

I got a new boiler installed this week and although I'm glad I have a new boiler, the radiators aren't heating up fully. It's not bad but it's not perfect.
    I'm pretty sure I've a sludge build up and need a power flush but should the sales guy and/or the boiler installer not have mentioned this to me?

I have read somewhere online that regulations require a flush of system when new boiler is installed... But not sure.
    Anyone any idea of the regulation?
    If its an extra cost that's fine I'll get it done but just wondering should an RGI installer have walked away leaving me with a far from perfect system.
    Not having a go at them, I'm not sure what they should or shouldn't have done but just a query really. So plumbers, don't attack me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't think it's regulation no.

But any installer worth their salt would have done the job properly. Depending how old the rads are and the type of water in the area they should have flushed it out.

It would be standing over your quality of work

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Manufacturers require a power flush to validate the warranty.

As an aside. I have had customers asking for a new boiler to be installed. On further questioning , it was revealed that the reason for their decision was heating working poorly.
    You can have a perfectly good boiler delivering poor performance due to the heating system been poorly installed and therefore getting sludged up.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Thanks for the responses guys, so my boiler warranty would be invalid if I don't get a power flush?
    Im defo going to push them down on price on this at the very least, it's a plumbing company not a one man operation.
    Installer never turned up Monday without even a call to tell me so had to get it done Tuesday and he left the house in a mess too...
    One last thing, he left the old boiler outside my front door too, should this have been taken away with him?
    It's back inside the house now I'll have to try get it into work skip or something

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Thanks for the responses guys, so my boiler warranty would be invalid if I don't get a power flush?
    Im defo going to push them down on price on this at the very least, it's a plumbing company not a one man operation.
    Installer never turned up Monday without even a call to tell me so had to get it done Tuesday and he left the house in a mess too...
    One last thing, he left the old boiler outside my front door too, should this have been taken away with him?
    It's back inside the house now I'll have to try get it into work skip or something
    Whether you can push him down on price will depend on if he included the price of a flush and didn't then do it. He might argue that the system was perfectly clean and didn't need power flushing. I am no expert on these things, but you most likely have moral rather than legal right on your side. Anyway no harm in discussing it with him.

As for old boiler, it depends on what you agreed. The problem most people make is that they don't get all of this in writing in the beginning.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Was the system balanced properly after? (probably was),
    And what's the water temperature set at on the boiler,( the cooler it is the more efficient the boiler runs, but the cooler the rads will be)
    Assuming it a condensing boiler...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
Advertisement