Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arranging electricity and gas before moving in

Options
  • 13-11-2019 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭

I hope this is the right forum to post this, but a very simple question. When moving into a new house, are you supposed to arrange your electricity and gas supplier before getting the keys? I'm concerned that when I move in and ring up a supplier that the property won't be supplied for a few days. But then I figured you need an MPRN number or something to sign up, which I won't have until I move in!

How does it work exactly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

VonLuck wrote: »
    I hope this is the right forum to post this, but a very simple question. When moving into a new house, are you supposed to arrange your electricity and gas supplier before getting the keys? I'm concerned that when I move in and ring up a supplier that the property won't be supplied for a few days. But then I figured you need an MPRN number or something to sign up, which I won't have until I move in!

How does it work exactly?

The house will already have a working electricity and gas (if it's a gas supplied house). They don't get cut off between tenants unless the bill hasn't been paid in a very long time.

When you move in you will take a reading from the electricity and gas meters. Call your suppliers and tell them the numbers. They will then bill you based on that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Has the house being empty or had it’s supply disconnected ?
    If not then you just take a meter reading when moving in and call a supplier and ask them to set up an account.

Use bonkers.ie to find the best rate. , a renter may need a deposit a owner generally doesn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭VonLuck

ted1 wrote: »
    Has the house being empty or had it’s supply disconnected ?
    If not then you just take a meter reading when moving in and call a supplier and ask them to set up an account.

Use bonkers.ie to find the best rate. , a renter may need a deposit a owner generally doesn’t.

Place is empty for a few months, but when I was in there maybe a month or so ago I tested the rads / water and heat was going to them, as well as the power working. May be disconnected since, but I don't know.

Does that make a difference?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

If the supply has been disconnected, you may need to pay a fee to be reconnected.

If it has not been disconnected, it's as simple as just taking a meter read and then signing up with someone wither online (Bonkers is best) or by calling the company directly.

Chelle_C wrote: »
    If the supply has been disconnected, you may need to pay a fee to be reconnected.

If it has not been disconnected, it's as simple as just taking a meter read and then signing up with someone wither online (Bonkers is best) or by calling the company directly.

Thanks. So in basic terms, I move in day 1, take a meter reading, sign up to whatever provider I want and use as normal? I assume I should take a photo of the meter to prevent any dispute over payment from the previous owner.

Just regarding the meter, where would this be for the gas and electricity in an apartment? It may be stupid to ask, but I don't recall seeing any meters in the property itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

VonLuck wrote: »
    Thanks. So in basic terms, I move in day 1, take a meter reading, sign up to whatever provider I want and use as normal? I assume I should take a photo of the meter to prevent any dispute over payment from the previous owner.

Just regarding the meter, where would this be for the gas and electricity in an apartment? It may be stupid to ask, but I don't recall seeing any meters in the property itself.
    Depending on the layout of the estate. The meters will probably be in the basement/underground car park if a big complex with a number of meter presses. Alternatively they may be in a press in the reception area. You will probably need the small triangular type key to access. Check with the Property Manager. Details of the Management Agenyt and Property Management should be on the noticeboard.

Got it sorted in the end. Thanks for the help.

Another related question - I know the gas / electricity supplier estimates the usage over whatever period, but I would like to submit regular readings so that I get an accurate indication of how much I'm spending on my bills. Seeing as it's the caretaker that only has access to the meters, is it unreasonable to ask for monthly readings, or is this expected seeing as it's info required for my property?

Advertisement