Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

16-inch MacBook Pro

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

Just as a comparison I looked at a dell Alienware a51 .. could only spec to core i9, 32gb and 2tb with 8gb GPU and it was coming in at about €4,600 .. so apple’s pricing isn’t all that out of sync

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I’m going to replace my mid 2014 15” with one of these. 16GB RAM should do, might consider 32GB. 1TB storage is plenty, I’ve local and Cloud based storage options for all my data. I’m unsure about the GPU, I guess I’ll have to wait and see how benchmarks look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Elessar

5uspect wrote: »
    I’m going to replace my mid 2014 15” with one of these. 16GB RAM should do, might consider 32GB. 1TB storage is plenty, I’ve local and Cloud based storage options for all my data. I’m unsure about the GPU, I guess I’ll have to wait and see how benchmarks look.

I'm similarly thinking about replacing my 2014 15" with one of these. 32GB/2TB and the 8GB GPU. But tbh 2020 is around the corner and I suspect Apple will update the entire Macbook Pro line again next year with a new design (it's due). This feels like a .5 release. I might just wait it out. Not sure what to do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Basic spec version:
    USA $2,399.00
    IE €2,799.00

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭padjocollins

apple switching to arm chips 2020 or latest 2021 . am holding my 2010 macbook pro until then.

apple switching to arm chips 2020 or latest 2021 . am holding my 2010 macbook pro until then.

Definitely won't be the Pro line for a few years yet. Low power Macbooks maybe in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Passenger wrote: »
    Basic spec version:
    USA $2,399.00
    IE €2,799.00

:eek:

VAT @ 23% , 2275+ VAT is about right for $2399.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

VAT @ 23% , 2275+ VAT is about right for $2399.

€2,275 comes out at about $2,500 at today's exchange rate so we're around $100 more expensive (4%) which isn't too bad and probably on a par with any other US goods.

It always makes me laugh every time there's a new release, there's always a post with someone comparing the US price to the Irish price without taking the tax into consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭calum

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm similarly thinking about replacing my 2014 15" with one of these. 32GB/2TB and the 8GB GPU. But tbh 2020 is around the corner and I suspect Apple will update the entire Macbook Pro line again next year with a new design (it's due).
    Hmm, not convinced. If they were about to bring out a new design, I'd have expected their new flagship laptop to get it first.

• Advertisement

I saw an interview with Phil Schiller who referred to this machine as a ‘new generation’. Like with the first retina MBP, I suspect we’ll see a 14” next year with any radical redesign a couple of years away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've a late 2016 13". Might be tempted to upgrade to a 14" next year if they make one (seems highly likely), making the touch bar optional would also be nice (seems highly unlikely).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Very tempted with this. I've held onto a late 2012 MBP with 16gb RAN and 512gb SSD. I think I'll end up opting for the 32gb RAM and sticking with 512GB SSD.

With the amount of cloud storage I'm using, I should be fine. Plus, I really could be doing a better job of space management, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

No doubt a great machine, not a fan of thunderbolt only and for 2800 quid, feck that.
    I can get a brand new 2015 15" macbook pro for 1000 euro, 16gb 1tb ssd, i7 quad core with all the different ports and maybe then on top a 34 inch curved monitor for another 600

The pricing for top of the range laptops has gone bonkers, same with the phones, i am taking a stand ha

I can get a brand new 2015 15" macbook pro for 1000 euro, 16gb 1tb ssd, i7 quad core with all the different ports

Where can you buy a brand new 2015 MBP for €1000? Link, please.

Where can you buy a brand new 2015 MBP for €1000? Link, please.

Guy on adverts sells them, i don't know the term so i will use "reclaimed", i think he buys them in bulk from companies that go bust, a lot of them are in storage for years, most are obviously used but some of them he gets are brand new etc

Guy on adverts sells them, i don't know the term so i will use "reclaimed", i think he buys them in bulk from companies that go bust, a lot of them are in storage for years, most are obviously used but some of them he gets are brand new etc

Ah right. You mean refurbished. Can you link to his page?

Ah right. You mean refurbished. Can you link to his page?

They are sold as is, opened to test but that's it, if that's refurbished, so be it, can't do that as i am pulling the trigger myself

No doubt a great machine, not a fan of thunderbolt only and for 2800 quid, feck that.
    I can get a brand new 2015 15" macbook pro for 1000 euro, 16gb 1tb ssd, i7 quad core with all the different ports and maybe then on top a 34 inch curved monitor for another 600

The pricing for top of the range laptops has gone bonkers, same with the phones, i am taking a stand ha

That's fine, but it is still an almost 5 year old machine, with older generation hardware, so they're not really comparable - even though €1000 for that spec and year is very nice!

Unfortunately us Mac users don't really have much choice when it comes to new machines. We just have to hope that Apple give us plenty of features we want and don't screw us too much on the price. I personally think the balance is much more in the favour of the buyer, this time, than many of the previous iterations.

Hopefully be putting in my order next week. Still unsure what spec to go for. I've toying with the idea of going with one of the cheaper graphic card options and then adding an eGPU if I find myself wanting more juice down the line.

Well the order for mine is gone in. 2.3 Ghz i9, 32 GB RAM, 5500 8GB and 1TB SSD.
    Thanks work! I needed that after the day I had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭iniall

Well the order for mine is gone in. 2.3 Ghz i9, 32 GB RAM, 5500 8GB and 1TB SSD.

Nice spec! Enjoy.

Exact same spec I bought tonight. Really did kill me to fork over that amount but if it gives me as much service as my 2012 machine then I'll be delighted. Can't wait to get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Priestess101

Hello,
    I’m hoping to put in an order for my first Macbook Pro 16” - thinking an i7, 2.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD and upgrading to 5500M 4GB graphics card to keep me busy multitasking like nobody's business, lol. Possibly doing a digital marketing course in the near future. I didn’t get too far today with finance as they told me they only accept something called Barclay finance?

I don’t have much savings and did a thorough search for Black Friday deals but spreading out payments over 12-18 months sounds more reasonable except I am with BOI and my partner is Ulster Bank unfortunately. I also looked online at Harvey Norman and DID electrical but couldn’t see options for paying in instalments (not interested in Flexi pay).

Would love to hear peoples experiences and options for financing their apple product. Not interested in Adverts or refurbished either as I would like to replace my 10 year old Samsung notebook and hey why not treat myself with a brand new Apple for my 25th birthday next week. With the upgrades, the MacBook would set me back around €3300 which is why you see I need some actionable advice! 😅

Hello,
    I’m hoping to put in an order for my first Macbook Pro 16” - thinking an i7, 2.6GHz, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD and upgrading to 5500M 4GB graphics card to keep me busy multitasking like nobody's business, lol. Possibly doing a digital marketing course in the near future. I didn’t get too far today with finance as they told me they only accept something called Barclay finance?

I don’t have much savings and did a thorough search for Black Friday deals but spreading out payments over 12-18 months sounds more reasonable except I am with BOI and my partner is Ulster Bank unfortunately. I also looked online at Harvey Norman and DID electrical but couldn’t see options for paying in instalments (not interested in Flexi pay).

Would love to hear peoples experiences and options for financing their apple product. Not interested in Adverts or refurbished either as I would like to replace my 10 year old Samsung notebook and hey why not treat myself with a brand new Apple for my 25th birthday next week. With the upgrades, the MacBook would set me back around €3300 which is why you see I need some actionable advice! 😅

Have you tried the Credit Union? Benefit with CU over a bank is that you can pay it back early, thus ending your interest payments early. I believe the APR is higher with CU loans but if you can pay it off early, you can really benefit over a bank.

I've done this method before. Might be a case where I have the money but simply don't want to leave myself tight for cash over coming months. So I get a CU loan and pay it back as soon as possible.

On your MBP spec - is it purely digital marketing that you'll be using this for? If so, I think the base model could suffice. That way, you might be able to find the machine reduced slightly on Black Friday, as it's a standard model that stores would have.

But regardless of any Black Friday savings, I think 16gb and the base graphics is fine for digital marketing needs. Unless you're planning on doing heavy Photoshop use or anything like that? The base graphics is much improved over where it used to be. You should be more than happy with it.

What type of machine are you switching up from?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geminiman63

I was just checking out the new 16" MacBook Pro and I wonder why the Irish Apple site on my MacBook Pro is not showing the lower spec new 16" MacBook Pro thats showing up on the Apple store app on my iPhone for €2799. Its has 2.6GHz, 512GB, AMD Radeon Pro 5300M.
    Its a strange one that.......... :confused:

It’s there when I look.

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro/16-inch

Regarding financing, I’d be very wary. This it a lot of computer and a lot of money. What could digital marketing possibly require this much power for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

15" i9 16GB 512GB for €2999
    16" i7 16GB 512GB for €2519

Better getting the 16?
    Upgrading from a Late 2011 MBP. I bought the 15 before the 16 was on offer, but can return it.

Better getting the 16?
    Upgrading from a Late 2011 MBP. I bought the 15 before the 16 was on offer, but can return it.

With the way the 15" throttles the processor, yes, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Many thanks for that. I am just a bit worried since it's such a new model, and the drop down from an i9 to an i7 and the new keyboard, but that's probably a good shout.

• Advertisement

Better getting the 16?

Thanks yeah I decided to go for the the 16" from compu b for €2519. Broke as hell now but well worth it when you compare the 15" and 16" prices.

Took the plunge myself today and ordered a 16" - 2.4Ghz/32GB/8GB 5500/2TB config - it will be my main machine and desktop replacement.

This will replace my 2014 2.8GHz MBP which has been a great workhorse these last 5 years. I normally upgrade every 4 years but the last 15" has not been compelling, I wasn't a fan at all. The new 16 is really nice and a justifiable upgrade. Looking forward to it!

Still waiting on mine. It’s a BTO through work, hopefully I get it before the Xmas break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

So, a couple of months later, what's the consensus on the MBP 16"?

To those that have purchased. are you happy with it? Any issues?

I'm thinking of getting one but wonder should I wait? Is there a newer model due this year?

It’s been excellent for me.

For administrative jobs like email and slide ware the battery life is insane, easily 12 hours. Turn on the taps and it’s a monster at rendering and simulations but east the battery.

The screen is much thinner than my old 2014 15” and the hinge is good but there is more wobble in it than I’m used to when moving it about.

I don’t actually mind the Touch Bar. I’m a Vim user so the physical Esc key is appreciated however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

It’s been excellent for me.

For administrative jobs like email and slide ware the battery life is insane, easily 12 hours. Turn on the taps and it’s a monster at rendering and simulations but east the battery.

The screen is much thinner than my old 2014 15” and the hinge is good but there is more wobble in it than I’m used to when moving it about.

I don’t actually mind the Touch Bar. I’m a Vim user so the physical Esc key is appreciated however

Thanks mate,

That is exactly what I will be upgrading from. 2014 15” MBP and it has served me well, it is still remarkably capable for a 6 year old machine.

However it struggles with large Raw files and video editing is a slow process.

The 16" seems to fit the bill as a replacement, I just wanted to be sure it didn't have any issues like dodgy keyboard or throttling. From what I have read the fans can be a little loud under stress but I can live with that if it gets the job done.

• Advertisement

It’s no louder than the 2014, probably more broadband noise even.

The 16" was the best investment I ever made. Thanks for all your advice guys, really appreciate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new MacBook Pro - I had a 15" from 2015 and changed it for a 13" 2017 model as I didn't like the bulk. How does the 16" compare size / weight wise to the 13" ? I'll be going with the Core i7 2.4GHz / 16GB / 256GB in the 13" but am being tempted by the 16" .. Screensize isn't a massive factor as I have it docked with 2x 27" displays in the home office and when out I can use sidecar with my 12.9" iPad Pro ?

The 16” is almost exactly the same size as your old 15”. There is most likely a new 14” coming soon.

Another 2014 15" MBP to 16" migrant here. Very pleased with what I've been doing with it so far. My 2014 MBP has been a great machine to get the work done but the 16" MBP has enough to offer that I can easily see it as an upgrade at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 QuinnerEP

Would the baseline 16" macbook pro late 2019 be sufficient for 4k video editing?

QuinnerEP wrote: »
    Would the baseline 16" macbook pro late 2019 be sufficient for 4k video editing?

Yes

Advertisement