Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gold Digger

Options
  • 12-11-2019 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭

Gold Digger

Julia Ormond To Topline BBC One Drama ‘Gold Digger’
    The lead role is Ormond’s first in a British television series, having recently starred in Howards End and having started her career starring in shows such as Traffik and The Ruth Rendell Mysteries.

In the six-part drama, which was written and created by Marnie Dickens (Thirteen), Ormond will play Julia Day, a mother and a wife who has spent her whole life putting the needs of others before herself. It tells the story of how, as a 60-year old woman, she falls in love with Benjamin, a man 25 years her junior. It looks at how their unconventional relationship impacts her family as the secrets of their past are revealed and investigates whether Benjamin is really the gold digger that they think he is.

The series is produced by ITV-owned Mainstreet Pictures. Tim Bradley (Unforgotten) will produce and Vanessa Caswill (Little Women) will direct the first three episodes. It is exec produced by Mainstreet’s Laura Mackie and Sally Haynes for Mainstreet Pictures, Elizabeth Kilgarriff for BBC One and Dickens.

Ormond said she was “extraordinarily grateful” to be cast in this “fabulously written piece exploring family dynamics”.

Dickens said, “I’m thrilled to have the hugely talented Julia Ormond bringing our heroine to life. I couldn’t be happier to be working with the BBC and Mainstreet on a drama that puts an older woman unequivocally at the heart of the action.”

BBC Drama Controller Piers Wenger added, “I’m delighted Julia Ormond will be starring in Gold Digger and at the centre of Marnie’s explosive new series for BBC One. I can’t wait to see her take on this complex and fascinating character.”

Ormond, who won an Emmy for her role in the HBO miniseries and also starred in Sabrina

https://deadline.com/2018/08/julia-ormond-star-gold-digger-bbc-one-drama-1202437947/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

First episode was pretty excellent IMO.
    Julia Ormond and Ben Barnes fantastic as was supporting cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

Yes, very well set up. I am thinking the eldest son is going to go off the rails big time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its intriguing

Siobh73 wrote: »
    Yes, very well set up. I am thinking the eldest son is going to go off the rails big time
    Big time!

Also to add...the youngest son in particular is a knob.

On a side note...Julia Ormond is absolutely stunning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

she has developed a massive arse though

fryup wrote: »
    she has developed a massive arse though
    Better than some botoxed skinny rake IMO.
    See Famke Janssen...

Oh it's all on iPlayer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Some shots she looked really beautiful, some she looked harsh and aged. She is carrying a lot of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Thought it was pretty average. Terrible dialogue and absolutely zero chemistry between the two leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Thought it was pretty average. Terrible dialogue and absolutely zero chemistry between the two leads.

Agree. What a family of deeply unpleasant people exuding a sense of entitlement
    Julia Ormond is a good actor but a bit flat in this supposed romantic tale..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I bailed out during episode two, the daughter being the main reason.

Just another series of rich people being miserable/miserable people being rich at 9 PM alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Yet another to add my long of BBC dramas that I've missed.:( Hopefully it will come to Netflix at some stage.
    I bailed out during episode two, the daughter being the main reason.

Just another series of rich people being miserable/miserable people being rich at 9 PM alas.

The BBC does plenty of drama involving the not rich people being miserable.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It is available to watch on bbc iplayer

iPlayer is geo-restricted isn't it?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Smart dns

I used to use VPNs but Netflix and iPlayer would regularly block them.

Is a smart DNS something better than a VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,413 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This is coming on VM1

Advertisement