Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened my bike?

Options
  • 12-11-2019 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

So I was cycling home yesterday and next thing I know I'm pedaling away but going nowhere. Chain was still on and turning the back cogs but not actually turning the back wheel. Anyone know whats happened here and what needs replacing?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Plastik

The pawl springs in your freehub body. They can probably be serviced, but a bike shop will more than likely just recommend/charge you for a replacement freehub.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

Thanks, I haven't come across that part before. It has wikipedia page too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freehub

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I fixed mine, the pawl spring had rusted and broke, I got a stainless steel spring and cut it to size and it is fine now years later, I figured a replacement would just rust again.

The spring could be fine and the pawls could be just full of gunk and not flicking into place correctly. Mine was also dirty and looked like only 1 or 2 were engaging. THis is not good since they are taking all the force

Min first started giving trouble in the snow, I was reading the cold weather could affect them.

Advertisement