Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise when taps run

Options
  • 12-11-2019 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Hi I’ve just had my house renovated and replumbed. Now when anyone runs a tap I get a loud hum throughout several rooms. It’s like the pipe coming from the pump is vibrating in the stud walls. Same happens when the cold water tank refills, it’s not the noise of the water refilling but rather the pressure in the pipes every time the ballcock starts to shut off the water. I really don’t know how to go about trouble shooting, the plumber doesn’t answer / return calls.

I’m not doing a great job describing the problem, but I just don’t know how to explain it, other than I’m fearful to run a tap at nighttime Incase it wakes the kids.

Anyone have any idea where I can start to trouble shoot?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Hi I’ve just had my house renovated and replumbed. Now when anyone runs a tap I get a loud hum throughout several rooms. It’s like the pipe coming from the pump is vibrating in the stud walls. Same happens when the cold water tank refills, it’s not the noise of the water refilling but rather the pressure in the pipes every time the ballcock starts to shut off the water. I really don’t know how to go about trouble shooting, the plumber doesn’t answer / return calls.

I’m not doing a great job describing the problem, but I just don’t know how to explain it, other than I’m fearful to run a tap at nighttime Incase it wakes the kids.

Anyone have any idea where I can start to trouble shoot?

Google ‘water hammer’;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

dodzy wrote: »
    Google ‘water hammer’;)

Thanks, that does seem to be part of it, the plumber is refusing to come and look at the issue, he’s been paid fully and says it’s settle down in a fortnight..... Can anyone recommend a plumber I can get a second opinion from? Based in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Thanks, that does seem to be part of it, the plumber is refusing to come and look at the issue, he’s been paid fully and says it’s settle down in a fortnight..... Can anyone recommend a plumber I can get a second opinion from? Based in Naas.

Take a photo of the pump and post it,sounds like the pump is sitting on the floor joists

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

How much water have you run through it?

Try running the bath for ten minutes see if there's any reduction. You may still have air in various pipes.

Advertisement