Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Apple TV to 76 year old

Options
  • 10-11-2019 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So disgusted by eir my father has just transferred tv phone and mobile to eir. They left house with tv not working and he is unable
    To use the Apple control as too difficult to manage the control as not a button remote. Do eir not have to make these considerations when selling these products when they are dealing with elderly customers. He is sitting in his bedroom eating his dinner as he can’t work the tv and is watching saorview on his old tv in his bedroom ! Disgraceful eir

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭celt262

Sflan wrote: »
    So disgusted by eir my father has just transferred tv phone and mobile to eir. They left house with tv not working and he is unable
    To use the Apple control as too difficult to manage the control as not a button remote. Do eir not have to make these considerations when selling these products when they are dealing with elderly customers. He is sitting in his bedroom eating his dinner as he can’t work the tv and is watching saorview on his old tv in his bedroom ! Disgraceful eir

Is he still in cooling off period?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Delta2113

These sales people are on commission - sell to whoever -they don't care once they get the commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭jos22

if possible cancel that asap

I don't think he will want to be paying 80+ month after the 6 months promo
    and note the small print
    *One year Apple TV+ included when you get Apple TV with eir TV.

• Upon claiming the offer, you commit to a $4.99/month subscription that starts
    immediately after the 1 year free and automatically renews until cancelled.
    You can cancel at any time in Settings at least a day before each renewal date.
    If you cancel during your free year, you and your family members will
    immediately lose access to Apple TV+ and the remainder of your 1-year free
    trial. You can’t reactivate this trial.

How is it a sales persons job to decide who can and can't use an apple tv? I know people in their 70's who would be highly insulted if they were told an apple tv was difficult to use, they would know their tech better than a lot of 20 year olds.

The apple tv remove is also very easy to use, it shouldn't take him any length of time to get used to it. up/down/back/over click to select menu to go back volume buttons and a play/pause button. Very simple really.

No recording BBC, no RTE, no C4 or E4 - sales guy probably didn't mention that either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We might not turn this into a second eir TV thread - if people have general comments about eir TV, the main thread is the place to do it. Posts should address the particular issue the OP has raised. If it doesn’t do that, it belongs in the general eir TV thread.

OP, just to say. Tech companies are really between a rock and a hard place in a situation like this. The product your father was sold may not be suitable for his needs. At the same time if any company set a general policy that a person over a certain age should not be sold a tech product they would have an equality/discrimination case on their hands from an older person who would feel they were absolutely competent to operate such a product. So a very difficult line to thread. Many of the founders of the larger tech companies are at or approaching that age - would you stop them buying their own products?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Am I missing something ?

Eir have their own TV product called Eir Vision. Its a set top box and records. Has a remote control.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

STB. wrote: »
    Am I missing something ?

Eir have their own TV product called Eir Vision. Its a set top box and records. Has a remote control.

Yes - have a read of this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111740933

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What age group should Eir stop selling their new TV service to? Over 40? 50? 60?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

lertsnim wrote: »
    What age group should Eir stop selling their new TV service to? Over 40? 50? 60?

It's a relevant question actually. I think probably over 50. People at that age would probably not be tech savvy enough to understand what they are getting. Their kids should be with them I think when making this kind of pupose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

DellyBelly wrote: »
    It's a relevant question actually. I think probably over 50. People at that age would probably not be tech savvy enough to understand what they are getting. Their kids should be with them I think when making this kind of pupose.

I know plenty over 50 that would laugh at the suggestion that they are incapable of using an Apple TV or any new technology for that matter.

If someone can't use something then use the cooling off period and cancel. Problem solved.

Laughable!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Ageism much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

lol . I think your argument just fell on its arse here!

What age should their kids be to offer such advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yeah you are so right ...... that whole generation who invented all those things you now take for granted could never have the capabiliy of using them! :rolleyes:

I really find it difficult to understand how someone could be so dense as to post this drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I don't think age is an issue.
    Eir are selling a product and should be aware that some people are not finding it easy to navigate, as most are used to a 'normal' television interface.
    They should take that into account when signing customers up.
    Otherwise stand to lose customers in the cooling off period, and get less and less recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Take age out of it, they sold a product to somebody, they set up and left without it working properly - and it doesn't meet his needs, OP cancle it open a complaint with comreg if they give you any hassle.

Adding age back into if they give you hassle use words like their sales person took advantage of an elderly and vunerable man..... keep pushing them. Then get your dad a satelline box with Saoir view and uk channels + a disk to recode get a local installer to put it in. My Mum is silmilar age and tech challanged.

Local installer was great, showed up when he said he would, talked me through it on the phone. She now has UK and Irish Channels coming in over the air form the north, which is all she wants. There is a satalline dish too but I don't think she needs it or uses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Take age out of it, they sold a product to somebody, they set up and left without it working properly - and it doesn't meet his needs, OP cancle it open a complaint with comreg if they give you any hassle.

Adding age back into if they give you hassle use words like their sales person took advantage of an elderly and vunerable man..... keep pushing them. Then get your dad a satelline box with Saoir view and uk channels + a disk to recode get a local installer to put it in. My Mum is silmilar age and tech challanged.

Local installer was great, showed up when he said he would, talked me through it on the phone. She now has UK and Irish Channels coming in over the air form the north, which is all she wants. There is a satalline dish too but I don't think she needs it or uses it.

Maybe it's my age, but I can't make heads nor tails of this post :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes, installing a non-working product is reason enough to cancel, IMO.
    Adding age back into if they give you hassle use words like their sales person took advantage of an elderly and vunerable man..... keep pushing them.

From a technical perspective ...

Age does not equal vulnerable

But I suppose it might sway some. I think it is unfortunate that some think that

Age equals vulnerable
    Then get your dad a satelline box with Saoir view and uk channels + a disk to recode get a local installer to put it in. My Mum is silmilar age and tech challanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

So they left without the service working and that's that? Sounds absolutely untrue tbh. Whatever you think about eir they don't leave the service broken and make no plan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

Perhaps you know like , you could teach him to use it? Instead of ranting at Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

He could've said no thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

2pacshakur wrote: »
    Perhaps you know like , you could teach him to use it? Instead of ranting at Eir.

He could be in another Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Suckit wrote: »
    He could be in another Country.

Doubt it, Eir only install in Ireland. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

degsie wrote: »
    Maybe it's my age, but I can't make heads nor tails of this post :o

Yes me too I googled what a satelline box was but got no results?:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

This kind of thing really pisses me off. And they are always long gone before you can get a hold of them.

I remember standing in line for the till in dunnes. There was a really old granny with her head scarf and wheelie-bag trying to use some kind of voucher that she had for her purchase. The thick-headed cashier kept sighing and telling her that she has to register online first before she could use the voucher (even I at 25 couldn't understand what the fk she was on about).

Is there any regulatory body (comreg?) that this kind of idiocy can be reported to? It won't be long before we find ourselves victims of it too.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    This kind of thing really pisses me off. And they are always long gone before you can get a hold of them.

I remember standing in line for the till in dunnes. There was a really old granny with her head scarf and wheelie-bag trying to use some kind of voucher that she had for her purchase. The thick-headed cashier kept sighing and telling her that she has to register online first before she could use the voucher (even I at 25 couldn't understand what the fk she was on about).

Is there any regulatory body (comreg?) that this kind of idiocy can be reported to? It won't be long before we find ourselves victims of it too.

Anywhere using age as a reason for not selling something to a person would end up reported a lot faster than anything you have described and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

My own parents use the Apple TV every day along with the iPad, not on eir but Netflix and Plex along with their saorview box, they are 70 odd.

Regarding age I reckon it’s the other way, a lot of kids under 20 I’d say have no idea how to set up a tv or anything besides their phone

Advertisement