Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise from boiler

Options
  • 10-11-2019 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭

I moved into an apartment I bought on Friday and there is a constant noise coming from the hot press, it was every 30-40 seconds but now it's every 20-30 seconds non stop 24/7. I have looked around for leaks or leaky taps etc.. but everything seems fine to me and there was no mention of any in the survey. I have attached a video with the noise, it happens at 11 seconds and 60 seconds in the video. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's a pump.

Quite possible it's drawing in water...

Such as tank top up, toilet cistern etc etc.

Quite possible needs replacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

That's a pump.

Quite possible it's drawing in water...

Such as tank top up, toilet cistern etc etc.

Quite possible needs replacing.
    Thanks. I'll ring the company tomorrow, probably have to get someone out for a repair job.

It's right beside the bedroom so me being a light sleeper means it's very annoying at night time.

Thanks again punisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look for fused spur or trip the MCB in the board if you can find it. At least you will have a quiet night.

Had very similar in apartment was in and needed changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Look for fused spur or trip the MCB in the board if you can find it. At least you will have a quiet night.

Had very similar in apartment was in and needed changing.

Yep pump as its an apartment and your water isn't pressurised by gravity. They're pretty annoying but you can get anti vibration mats and noise reducing materials. And also find out the cause its firing, if nothing is on it's usually a leaky tap etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

On the floor to the right side of the water tank is your water pressure boosting pump. Its a Stuart Turner Negative Head Monsoon.
    This is what's making the noise.
    The pump is normally only activated when water is used somewhere, e.g. taps, showers, toilets etc.
    When you have On / Off cycling like you have the first things to check are all the taps for dripping. Then check all toilet cisterns / toilet bowls for evidence of dripping / trickling water.
    If all of these prove to be fine and in good order and there is no sign of water leaks anywhere, then most likely the issue is with the pump itself.
    The two most common issues giving this type of symptom are either the non-return valves need to be replaced or the expansion vessel (silver canister on top) needs to be pressurised with air or replaced.
    Or, the pump could be leaking.
    Either way, all repairable, the pump does not need to be replaced, although it is a little bit on the noisey side.
    Hope that helps you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

K.Flyer wrote: »
    On the floor to the right side of the water tank is your water pressure boosting pump. Its a Stuart Turner Negative Head Monsoon.
    This is what's making the noise.
    The pump is normally only activated when water is used somewhere, e.g. taps, showers, toilets etc.
    When you have On / Off cycling like you have the first things to check are all the taps for dripping. Then check all toilet cisterns / toilet bowls for evidence of dripping / trickling water.
    If all of these prove to be fine and in good order and there is no sign of water leaks anywhere, then most likely the issue is with the pump itself.
    The two most common issues giving this type of symptom are either the non-return valves need to be replaced or the expansion vessel (silver canister on top) needs to be pressurised with air or replaced.
    Or, the pump could be leaking.
    Either way, all repairable, the pump does not need to be replaced, although it is a little bit on the noisey side.
    Hope that helps you.
    It does help me very much K.Flyer. Thank you for the info and for putting my mind at ease. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Guy Person wrote: »
    Thanks. I'll ring the company tomorrow, probably have to get someone out for a repair job.

It's right beside the bedroom so me being a light sleeper means it's very annoying at night time.

Thanks again punisher.

Most pumps are Stuart Turner, negative head type ,this is a very good brand.

You can buy a re conditioned one or a new one, I would recommend ST Pumps in Phibsboro, see website link

https://st-pumps.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

kravmaga wrote: »
    Most pumps are Stuart Turner, negative head type ,this is a very good brand.

You can buy a re conditioned one or a new one, I would recommend ST Pumps in Phibsboro, see website link

https://st-pumps.ie/

Most apartment pumps are Stuart Turner and it is only on a very rare occasion that they need to be replaced and that's when the motor bearings break down or seize, motor windings burn out or the motor shaft is damaged.
    These are the only reasons I will change out a pump as I can carry out all other repairs on site.
    Of the hundreds of pumps I have attended to, it would be an extremely small percentage that would need replacing.
    In the case of the O.P., for the symptoms described, if it's the pump, then its a straightforward repair.

Advertisement