Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo Climbs

Options
  • 10-11-2019 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm soon to be based in Castlebar and I'm looking for a shortish climb for training on. Ideally about 5km in length with a gain of 300-400m. Much appreciated if anyone is able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Hi All,

I'm soon to be based in Castlebar and I'm looking for a shortish climb for training on. Ideally about 5km in length with a gain of 300-400m. Much appreciated if anyone is able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Lallys mtn or the windy gap might do you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Thanks for the suggestions.

I had looked up the Windy Gap on Google Maps already and it seems to be about 20k from the Turlough Rd to Lahardaun but you only gain 200m.

I haven't heard of lallys mountain so I'll give that a look.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭G1032

Windy Gap - 2km, 7%
    Manulla - 1.1km, 9%
    Craggagh - 1km, 10%
    Lally's Eastbound - 5km, 4%
    Lally's Westbound - 4.5km, 6%

The above are not exactly what you asked for but that's some of what we have around Castlebar. There isn't a 5km climb with 400m gain to the best of my knowledge

There are plenty more climbs around if you want me to post them.

Minaun in Achill has the 400m elevation gain but it just 3.6km long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

The Booster in Glenisland is 2km @ 13%... more of a slog than any good for training. but only a few k from Castlebar. need CX to get to the road but the 2km is tarred.
    Lallys is the best bet though.
    Windy Gap from Castlebar to top is 10km but up and down so only good for Force work or doing 1 - 3 mins efforts.
    Plenty of hills about but most are very short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Hi All,

Thanks

Off to Achill with you to try the Minaun Climb - Strava link

It's 326 metres over 2.8 kms so a bit sharper than you were hoping for, but you should give it a go :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭G1032

route66 wrote: »
    Off to Achill with you to try the Minaun Climb - Strava link

It's 326 metres over 2.8 kms so a bit sharper than you were hoping for, but you should give it a go :eek:

1st 1.7km averages 15% ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Thanks for all the responses, I have a few places to visit.

Cheers

Advertisement