Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Sun Room/Conservatory Roof change

  • 09-11-2019 7:29pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    I have a large sun room/conservatory which really is un-useable. Even yesterday with the sun it was too warm to sit in and then in evening it is like an ice box....


    I guess the best option would be one of the roof convertor companies? I had one out and they priced it up but I am concerned about the amount of insulation in between the rafters. They said it was Kingspan insulation boards which I have used and know are good quality but I forgot to ask and based on website they are putting in 75mm.....are they not supposed to ave 200mm now?



    What other options are available?

    The room is 6 x 4m or so


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭ martinn123


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have a large sun room/conservatory which really is un-useable. Even yesterday with the sun it was too warm to sit in and then in evening it is like an ice box....


    I guess the best option would be one of the roof convertor companies? I had one out and they priced it up but I am concerned about the amount of insulation in between the rafters. They said it was Kingspan insulation boards which I have used and know are good quality but I forgot to ask and based on website they are putting in 75mm.....are they not supposed to ave 200mm now?



    What other options are available?

    The room is 6 x 4m or so

    Start at the bottom, not the top

    Are the foundations sufficient for the combined weight of the new structure, will the convertor co certify this

    Now the dwarf walls, same questions

    Now the windows and door, same questions.

    Now the roof, what external material, you have asked the correct question regarding the insulation, whats under it, plasterboard, timber t&g

    Are the Original rafters being left in place, or is it a whole new roof.

    Hope this helps


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    martinn123 wrote: »
    Start at the bottom, not the top

    Are the foundations sufficient for the combined weight of the new structure, will the convertor co certify this

    Now the dwarf walls, same questions

    Now the windows and door, same questions.

    Now the roof, what external material, you have asked the correct question regarding the insulation, whats under it, plasterboard, timber t&g

    Are the Original rafters being left in place, or is it a whole new roof.

    Hope this helps


    Thanks, the roof is just glass at the moment, no rafters. So they are lifting the glass roof off and replacing it



    foundations etc all look good. Had a builder check them out before


    Now if you wanted to put on a full roof as I would call it with tiles you would need to run steel reinforcement around it.



    From what I can see without the exact name it is lightweight roofing which has tile effect. Not sure if plastic or something like that. Then rafters, the width I am waiting to find out. Then plasterboad and skimmed.....


    The right job would be insulation boards between rafters and then insulated slab onto the ceiling but I doubt they are doing that.......


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    Sorry to bring this back up, I have found a company in Dublin who are recommending to install Pilkington Activ Blue glass in the roof and not replace with the light weight tile roof.

    The glass is A rated. So I am wondering any way to confirm which option would be best for heat retention? So I want to hold heat in during the winter and stop getting overly hot in summer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭ Chisler2


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Sorry to bring this back up, I have found a company in Dublin who are recommending to install Pilkington Activ Blue glass in the roof and not replace with the light weight tile roof.

    The glass is A rated. So I am wondering any way to confirm which option would be best for heat retention? So I want to hold heat in during the winter and stop getting overly hot in summer.


    It sounds as if you need to find a contractor/roofer who (a) listens carefully to what you want and need and (b) comes back with a solution to meet that, fully costed and communicated.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    Chisler2 wrote: »
    It sounds as if you need to find a contractor/roofer who (a) listens carefully to what you want and need and (b) comes back with a solution to meet that, fully costed and communicated.


    I have found one, they wanted to replace the roof with the new light weight. Two of them actually and both priced similar


    I was looking around and seen this glass so thats why asking, I trying to work out which is a better option in terms of heat etc. Each of the companies of course are saying their option is best


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭ BryanF


    Traditional insulated roof would be better, if you want any hope of using the space for 4 seasons


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    BryanF wrote: »
    Traditional insulated roof would be better, if you want any hope of using the space for 4 seasons


    Thanks, the company selling the glass are saying because it is A rated it would give similar performance

    On the traditional roof I am adding in additional insulation to try increase the performance, as best as it can be with glass all around it


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭ blackbox


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Thanks, the company selling the glass are saying because it is A rated it would give similar performance

    On the traditional roof I am adding in additional insulation to try increase the performance, as best as it can be with glass all around it

    If you get the A rated glass won't it still be very hot when the sun shines?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    blackbox wrote: »
    If you get the A rated glass won't it still be very hot when the sun shines?


    Now according to the company, because it is the blue tinted glass it will reflect the sun so won't let the heat in that currently happens......


    The room at the moment will buckle hard plastic if it is left in it during the summer....the heat is incredible in it


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭ BryanF


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Thanks, the company selling the glass are saying because it is A rated it would give similar performance

    On the traditional roof I am adding in additional insulation to try increase the performance, as best as it can be with glass all around it

    quadruple glazed super amazing best on the market stuff, is still 5 times worse than current new build roof insulation requirements

    They sell glass..


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,515 ✭✭✭✭ Lumen


    Data sheet FWIW


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭ BryanF


    Well that ain’t going hold the heat in winter


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    This is the company I was quoting

    [snip]

    They say uValue of 0.17 and I am adding additional 50mm of insulated board to the ceiling


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭ BryanF


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This is the company I was quoting

    [snip]

    They say uValue of 0.17 and I am adding additional 50mm of insulated board to the ceiling
    So have they commented on the impact to their warranty if you add 50mm board under the glass?


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ mickdw


    The glass roof sales people should be shot.
    As someone said above it 5 times or much more worse than a good roof construction U value wise.
    Sure it's good as glass goes but glazing is the weak point of a build in terms of u value. To say that it's A rated so it's good as a roof is taking the piss.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    BryanF wrote: »
    So have they commented on the impact to their warranty if you add 50mm board under the glass?

    The insulation is on top of the standard they install, so I think it was an extra 500 for an insulated slab onto the ceiling and then that would be plastered instead of a standard slab, they said nothing about warranty been affected


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭ martinn123


    What does the warranty say about the structural integrity of the Building after the renovations

    Are they certifying that the wall glazing and frames are sufficient to carry the combined weight of the items being added

    What about the dwarf walls and foundations, same question

    i'll bet they will say the roof meets the building standards which is not a lot of use if the walls and frames can't bear the weight.

    The building was originally designed as a unit, with a glass roof, not a roof with tiles, insulation, plasterboard etc.

    If its less than 25SQM, as a conservatory it did not have to meet any Building Standards, not so a Sunroom.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    martinn123 wrote: »
    What does the warranty say about the structural integrity of the Building after the renovations

    Are they certifying that the wall glazing and frames are sufficient to carry the combined weight of the items being added

    What about the dwarf walls and foundations, same question

    i'll bet they will say the roof meets the building standards which is not a lot of use if the walls and frames can't bear the weight.

    The building was originally designed as a unit, with a glass roof, not a roof with tiles, insulation, plasterboard etc.

    If its less than 25SQM, as a conservatory it did not have to meet any Building Standards, not so a Sunroom.


    Its the light weight roof everyone is proposing......I have seen this installed all around Ireland.



    The structure it was all checked out when I bought house. I would be confident the structure would have ability to hold the roof


    Of course if you used standard tiles etc we would need to use steel to reinforce


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭ martinn123


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Its the light weight roof everyone is proposing......I have seen this installed all around Ireland.

    Yes i've seen it all over as well, that's why I am asking these questions
    The structure it was all checked out when I bought house. I would be confident the structure would have ability to hold the roof


    Of course if you used standard tiles etc we would need to use steel to reinforce


    Good news, so the Co should have no issue with Certifying the building not just the roof.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    martinn123 wrote: »
    Yes i've seen it all over as well, that's why I am asking these questions




    Good news, so the Co should have no issue with Certifying the building not just the roof.


    My original builder had suggested a standard roof so he could continue it on, he checked the structure and it would need a number of steel reinforcements so he sent me on the way to one of the light weight roof companies....


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ mickdw


    I wouldn't fit any of those roof sheet systems.
    I'd go for the extra steel and do a proper roof.
    Those systems might look ok from a distance and on the brochure but in my opinion they would borderline devalue a property


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    mickdw wrote: »
    I wouldn't fit any of those roof sheet systems.
    I'd go for the extra steel and do a proper roof.
    Those systems might look ok from a distance and on the brochure but in my opinion they would borderline devalue a property

    Not sure how they would devalue a property? At the moment I have a huge room which is more or less useless and unusable for 99% of the year.


  • Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ mickdw


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not sure how they would devalue a property? At the moment I have a huge room which is more or less useless and unusable for 99% of the year.

    Well in my opinion they look shocking. I wouldn't touch a property with that sheeting.


  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭ BryanF


    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The insulation is on top of the standard they install, so I think it was an extra 500 for an insulated slab onto the ceiling and then that would be plastered instead of a standard slab, they said nothing about warranty been affected

    expect condensation between insulation and glass. Still not convinced the heat loss won’t be significant in the winter. Go with a proper well-insulated roof. Perhaps even consider reducing the wall glass? Otherwise im not convinced the place will hold its heat in winter


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    BryanF wrote: »
    expect condensation between insulation and glass. Still not convinced the heat loss won’t be significant in the winter. Go with a proper well-insulated roof. Perhaps even consider reducing the wall glass? Otherwise im not convinced the place will hold its heat in winter

    I’m going with the guardian roof system which seems to be the most robust after researching

    Will it hold its heat in winter? I doubt it...will it be a lot better than today where it’s colder in it than outside? Yes I think it would be

    If I could even get proper use of it during the summer months then great, like last few days even with just cloudy sun you can sit in it but it’s warm, but another degree of two up and it would start to be uncomfortable.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,961 ✭✭✭✭ Shefwedfan


    mickdw wrote: »
    Well in my opinion they look shocking. I wouldn't touch a property with that sheeting.

    If done proper they look well, the cheap ass stuff is terrible

    I had one guy who came and offered to do for 4K of the Queens money, exact phrase he used, let’s just say he wasn’t called back


  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭ buzzerxx


    How did the job go? Are you happy with it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 36 ✭✭✭ griffonmark


    How did Guardian roof work out? I’m thinking of doing the same.


Advertisement