Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS to Irish landline Number?

Options
  • 09-11-2019 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

hello, has anyone heard / got any ideas of a service where I can send a SMS text from my mobile phone and it will convert it to speech and then ring a landline and play the message?

the nearest i have come across is a site / service called esendex.com but you have to buy credits ... well thats fine I am not expecting it for free but the minimum lowest required top-up of credits is 500 @ €42 + VAT and i wouldnt want to send anywhere near that amount

any ideas?

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

Eir had this facility from about 2001 until 2016. Hardly anyone was using it, other than for some niche use in alarm monitoring (which was generating little or no income for Eircom), so they abandoned it when the hardware became end-of-life needed to be upgraded.

I don't really think there's any serious demand for that service.

The old system would deliver SMS messages as speech, or if you'd an SMS enabled phone plugged in (which is knew about if you sent a text message from that device to activate it) it would then deliver it to the handset as actual text.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Mezzotint wrote: »
    Eir had this facility from about 2001 until 2016. Hardly anyone was using it, other than for some niche use in alarm monitoring (which was generating little or no income for Eircom), so they abandoned it when the hardware became end-of-life needed to be upgraded.

I don't really think there's any serious demand for that service.

The old system would deliver SMS messages as speech, or if you'd an SMS enabled phone plugged in (which is knew about if you sent a text message from that device to activate it) it would then deliver it to the handset as actual text.

ah yes I vaguely remember eir doing that. There were special home landline text terminals as well I think I had on at a time.

yeah i wouldndnt be using it much - certainly no-where near 500 times but that seems the lowest tarrif that esendex place seem to be doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

ah yes I vaguely remember eir doing that. There were special home landline text terminals as well I think I had on at a time.

yeah i wouldndnt be using it much - certainly no-where near 500 times but that seems the lowest tarrif that esendex place seem to be doing

There wasn't anything special about them really. The protocol was an open standard. A lot of cordless phones support it. The phone had a simple modem in it that was triggered to answer when it received an incoming call from the server (recognising the Caller ID) and immediately received the message. Outgoing message were sent by the phone dialling into a server and submitting the message as modem data.

If you plugged an SMS capable phone / device in, and sent a single message to any number, the server knew you had one and would deliver SMS messages to you.

If you didn't have one, it just turned the SMS into a voice message and played it to you or left it in your voicemail box.

The problem was nobody was actually bothered using the technology as mobile phones became ubiquitous and there isn't much of a mass-market case for fixed line SMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

eirman wrote: »

thanks for the link, looks a bit complicated to use with only sending and receiving to registered numbers only whereas I would like really, if I could, use a service that can send a text from my mobile to any landline number and read it out when the recipient picks up the phone.

but thanks, anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement