Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What year will a September baby go to primary and secondary school

Options
  • 07-11-2019 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

New to Ireland and I'm not sure how it works here. I've seen the rule on primary admissions, that 6 year olds have to be in school but parents can choose to start them in the September after their 4th birthday. Assuming that means what it says, the earliest a September baby can start is the month they turn 5?

Then with that kid starting a couple of weeks before they turn 5, they would go to secondary a couple of weeks before they turn 13? Or have I got it mixed up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, you can choose to start them a few weeks before they turn 5, or a few weeks before they turn 6.

+ 8 years for the secondary school starting age. (Assuming no repeated years)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Two September children here. Started at 4 turning 5 in the September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

The month they will be turning 5 is the earliest they could start. They wouldn’t be allowed to start the year earlier, at only 3. I do know a girl who started school in October, because she turned 4 in ate September, but that’s a long while ago, it wouldn’t happen now I’d say!
    The ecce will always give a guide if in doubt, your September baby would be eligible for 2 years free preschool starting the sept he/she turns three.
    My little boy is in second class, the oldest kids in his class turned 8 in May.

Advertisement