Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Clonsilla

Options
  • 06-11-2019 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hoping I can get a little help. Myself and my wife are blow ins to Dublin and we don't really know much about the various areas.

We're sort of stuck looking at new builds as we haven't enough saved for a deposit without it! We've been house hunting recently and came across new builds in St. Josephs in Clonsilla. Just wondering if people could let me know what the area is like and if there if there are any primary schools nearby with good reputations?

I'm working in D8 at the moment (so the 39x seems spot on) and my wife works in various hospitals in the North side of Dublin.

Any insight on the development (St. Josephs), the builder (Castlethorn) would be much appreciated too, any planned infrastructure developments in the area or anything else of relevance would be welcome too!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Moved from accommodation and property, please note and observe the forum rules and charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Its a good area.... 5 minutes walk to Clonsilla train station, 10 mins walk to Ongar village and backing on to the canal. Short walk to Hansfield station. Several national schools in the area around Ongar - Educate together, St Benedicts and Scoil Grainne all walking distance, and further afield in St Mochtas and St Francis Xavier (probably have to drive to the last one). Bus stop (39) outside your door almost.

5 mins drive to Clonee and on to the M3 motorway east/west bound. Dunboyne is 10 mins drive.

15/20 mins walk or Short drive to Blanch shopping centre, which is one of the best of ireland depending on who you ask :)

Crime is like any other area in Dublin. You will have pockets of Anti Social behaviour and some house break ins from time to time, but is no different to most places. "Dublin 15" is a huge area for the gardai to cover and it is clear they are stretched from a resourcing perspective. But take a look at this D15 forum where your thread is posted for more information on the area.

The area is well maintained by Fingal CC and local councillors seems active (around election time anyway :rolleyes: )

I've been in the area since 2003. You wont go too far wrong to be honest. I know St Josephs, and when they started clearing the site I thought - thats a nice place for an estate.

Muppet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Geminigal

Agree with above post and good luck with house hunting

• Registered Users Posts: 34 soycuba

Thanks all so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'd say a 15-20 minute walk to the shopping centre would be a very, very quick walk. The new estate is in a nice spot, but it's going to be just another estate in a crowded area where they only build estates and nothing else. So if you don't mind having to go to the Blanch shopping centre for pretty much everything, you might like the area.

Clonsilla village has a Spar, a pub, an Indian restaurant, a chipper and a chinese - while Ongar village has an overcrowded Dunnes, two East European and one Middle-Eastern food stores, a coffee shop, Dominos Pizza, an Italian restaurant and a pub. Which isn't a lot for the thousands of people living in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 soycuba

Thanks Polar, any other insights are welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭padski08

Clonee village is only up the road and has a Lidl/ Aldi
    There is a new Lidl being started soon, off the clonsilla link road c.3 minute drive from these new build houses

One thing to note, traffic is quite bad at peak times, and the train line is overcrowded, but you will get where you want on time, with planning (like most areas)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭avalidusername

The train closeby is a godsend for getting into town fast, even more so if the traingoer can do offpeak times as it's way overcrowded at peak hours. It could be a good selling tool if you're looking to rent spare rooms.

The nearest supermarket in Ongar, Dunnes isn't great by any standard, it's like a regular Dunnes but compacted 80% and they left out the best bits!
    Lidl and Aldi in Clonee are way less crowded, and serve the queues much faster. The Polish,Lithuanian and African/Arabian/Middle Eastern shops in Ongar have some amazing sauces and ingredients you'll be hard pushed to find anywhere else.

Food delivery to the area is abundant. Places for a pint and meal with the other half are within walking distance to the Clonsilla Inn, or CuChullains in Ongar, the Paddocks in Littlepace is close enough to walk to on a nice evening, but it's a taxi job in the pissing rain!

Plenty of schools in the area; Gaelscoil, National School, Educate Together, assorted sports or other clubs if there's little ones involved or in the future outlook; Gaa, football, ballet, music, hiphop dancing, computer coding, classes at Draiocht and learn to DJ are some of the kids things to do in the area so there's plenty to keep most busy.

Regarding infrastructure, there's pretty much nothing that can be done about the train congestion at the moment. Extra train carriages wouldn't fit on the platforms and would cause backlog at other stations and more roads closed as trains pass. The only conceivable notion is double decker trains which hasn't been mentioned at all even though they work off what appears to be a similar height :confused:

Travel to the Blanch Centre can be a nightmare too around Black Friday - Mid January, from personal experience it's best to be in by opening time and be out by 11.30am at the latest if you want the best stress free run.

Regarding the construction company, trust none of them and get good friends advice on a solicitor they'd pay again to close the deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Sorry for going off topic but as someone mentioned the pub, is Clonsilla Inn good for food? We went in last Sunday evening there around 5pm to try it out for food (haven't eaten there before) and pub was packed but not one person was eating food. It felt kind of off putting to order food if everyone around you was drinking and glued to a big Liverpool match that was on all the screens so we just left and went to Brownes in Blanch instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I'm seven years living in Clonsilla and never been in the door of that place but last weekend our childminder went there for sunday dinner before calling to us, she had a veg option and said it was really good and cheap...

Must give it a go sometime...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

soycuba wrote: »
    Thanks Polar, any other insights are welcome!

We rented in Clonsilla before buying, turned out to be a great idea before deciding to buy as we got to know the area. No regrets... except the lack of cafes within walking distance and burritos. Theres not much to Clonsilla village. Why somebody like Boojum hasnt come to D15, I'll never understand.

The canal is also very underdeveloped.

Friends of mine bought out in Sallins, they've two lovely pubs and cafes along the canal within 5 minutes walk and the canal is done really nicely.

Theres nothing like that around here.

One great thing about out here is when setting up a new home, you wont be stuck for shops for anything and Ikea is 20 mins away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

D15 is a great area. Lots or employment opportunities in the area, blanch centre, business Parks. Then there are lots of schools and good links into town

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Daeltaja

Friends of mine bought out in Sallins, they've two lovely pubs and cafes along the canal within 5 minutes walk and the canal is done really nicely.

Theres nothing like that around here.

Strange, isn't it? Clonsilla Road would be a perfect home for a nice little cafe. That strip of shops is a bit run down and in desperate need of refurbishment too. With all the new housing estates opening up, who knows in the future!

BTW, you wouldn't think it from looking at it from the outside, but Spice of India make phenomenal Indian food. I've eaten in basically every high-end Indian in Dublin and this is up there with the best of them. It's always dead inside, but it has a nice ambiance and I hope more people check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

A nail bar/salon is going into one of the vacant units next to Romayos and Spar. A coffee shop would've been nice but maybe the new Lidl development further down will have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Daeltaja wrote: »
    BTW, you wouldn't think it from looking at it from the outside, but Spice of India make phenomenal Indian food. I've eaten in basically every high-end Indian in Dublin and this is up there with the best of them. It's always dead inside, but it has a nice ambiance and I hope more people check it out.

Thanks, will have to check that out. Generally not a fan of Indian food as a lot of cheap and fatty cuts of meat can be disguised with sauces and spices. Went to Pickle restaurant on Camden St a few months back and was very impressed with that although it’s pretty expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Best Indian in Dublin 15 is Masala

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Best Indian in Dublin 15 is Masala

Must give it a try. I've found Zouq in Coolmine Industrial Estate to be the best I've tasted in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Masala is excellent. Not cheap, but I'd get dinner and lunch the next day out of their meal for one. They changed their minimum order for delivery though so I only order if I'm willing to drive down. Haven't had Spice of India for a few years but it was always delicious.

Advertisement