Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victron MultiPlus-II

Options
  • 06-11-2019 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hello
    Does anyone know if the Victron MultiPlus-II meets Irish regulations for connections to mains power supply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ruairihev

It is self certified to meet EN50438:2013 but it does not have independent certification so if you want to connect it to the Irish grid then you need to use an external anti-islanding device that is certified. I have used a Ziehl relay to achieve this with a MultiPlus.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brianwake

Thanks ruairihiv I will read into this option.
    Do you know of any training course that you would recommend in Cork area?

If you are after information on Victron components or the Ziehl relay then I can help you out as I'm pretty familiar with their products. Feel free to send a PM if you have a specific project in mind.

Not sure what type of training course you are looking for so I can't advise on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

ruairihev wrote: »
    It is self certified to meet EN50438:2013 but it does not have independent certification so if you want to connect it to the Irish grid then you need to use an external anti-islanding device that is certified. I have used a Ziehl relay to achieve this with a MultiPlus.

If you live on an island do you still need it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 beepers

I am looking to replace a SOLIS RHI-3.6K-48ES-5G with a Victron Multiplus-11 GX Iverter Charger. Any suggestions as to a good installer in the Nth Louth area.

• Advertisement

I can help you out with that system. PM me with more details

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

beepers wrote: »
    I am looking to replace a SOLIS RHI-3.6K-48ES-5G with a Victron Multiplus-11 GX Iverter Charger. Any suggestions as to a good installer in the Nth Louth area.

Out of interest, why are you changing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 beepers

KCross wrote: »
    Out of interest, why are you changing it?
    Two reasons. 1. I propose fitting Solar Panels on a South facing wall. This would require a third PV circuit. The Solis cannot do this or accept a second inverter. The Multiplus can accept two or more inverters.
    2. The Solis software leaves a lot to be desired. Shows false backup load when there is none. Needs to refer to Solis central system via Broadband. My BB was down hence the Solis remote monito failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Eleusis

Resurrecting an old thread. Does anyone know is a Zeihl anti islanding device still required for a grid assisted multiplus 2 or quattro (but not feeding back to grid). Do they still have no independent certification?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The Multiplus II should be certified for the Irish grid now, look for the EN50549 certification here

However, I don't think it has the Irish grid settings, you might need to program them manually

It might be worth asking in the Victron community if they're available

You'll also need a type test certificate to show the Multi is compatible with the Irish grid settings, I believe the installer should be able to provide this

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Thanks, but I have no intention of feeding back to the grid. I will only be using it to charge batteries and/or pass through to charge EV during cheap night rate.

However I know the multiplus 2 and quattro have feed in capabilities. Even if I'm not using the them. So because they have the capability do I require an external anti island device? Or is the built in anti islanding accepted in this country

I just want to make sure I'm actually allowed to use it before buying a victron system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 garciasa

Are you NC7? because for on NC6 ESB is not allow me to have victron/fronius when the multiplus is just acting as battery charger / UPS for the house.. because they are summing the power of victron and multplus which is a shame...

If you are not feeding to the grid, can you still install two inverters if you are not in the NC7?

I will not be nc6 or nc7 because i will not micro generating back to grid. I will be generating solar for own use only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The definition states that any grid-tied inverter is included as part of the overall capacity limitation. The only way around this would be to have a fully isolated circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 garciasa

Ok, but difficult to live with a fully isolated circuit in winter without charging the batteries from the grid :(

I'm curious as to the logic behind that decision, surely it's better to get the FIT for any excess rather than throttling your solar

In any case, I believe you still need an NC6 for any grid tied inverter, regardless of whether feed in has been disabled

Victron inverters have the capability to export limit, however I'm not sure ESBN accept this export limiting and require their own export limiting hardware

It's probably because the user can very easily remove the export limit on the GX device

So did you end up needing an NC7 for the Multiplus?

Im dont want to grid feed, becuase I dont want to be limitted to inverter size. I also expect to have very little FIT anwway becuase I will have large batteries.

I understood grid tied is a term used only when feeding back to the grid. Grid assisted is when it is used as back up. Grid assisted does not need nc6/nc7. Unless im mistaken?

I think you might be wrong, but it's worth checking with ESBN to be sure

Yeah you can have a zero feed in setup, but I suspect it still needs some form of NC form sent to ESBN and they need to be satisfied the system will not feed into the grid under any circumstances

This might require some sort of export limiting device that they have certified

That probably sounds like a load of annoying hassle, but looking at it from their view, they need to be 100% sure that you aren't accidentally feeding power to the grid in the event of a powet outage. Otherwise some poor ESBN engineer might end up getting barbecued when they're fixing the transformer

If grid-assisted means having a change-over switch and nominally full isolation from the grid then yes, that's fine. But otherwise if there is no isolation then it's not (unless you can find a product which is EN approved and which provides that function) unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Can you elaborate more? How can it back up if its fully isolated. With a changeover it can isloate, but to charge batteries or bypass inverter it would need to be unisolated surly?

EDIT: is this maybe when a Ziehl UFR1001E anti islanding device is needed?

Advertisement