Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4g (SIM) Router Recommendations

Options
  • 05-11-2019 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I'm currently considering switching to GoMo and just using for broadband. I think €10 a month versus €40+ is worth a go.

In general I'm a light user. Some Netflix. Also have the heating system, Google Home x2 and some Wi-Fi plugs operating on the wireless network.

Any recommendations of a suitable reasonably priced router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Also my plan so intersted in any replies !

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

wavert wrote: »
    I'm currently considering switching to GoMo ,.....

I recently got the Huawei B525 Good features and for the price its a good box.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭buzz11

wavert wrote: »
    I'm currently considering switching to GoMo and just using for broadband. I think €10 a month versus €40+ is worth a go.

In general I'm a light user. Some Netflix. Also have the heating system, Google Home x2 and some Wi-Fi plugs operating on the wireless network.

Can I ask you if this would be suitable for a replacement of phone line broadband?

I'm not very techie so could you explain if switching to sim broadband is a runner to replace my existing digiweb broadband via phone line?

There would be a major cost saving of €49pm v's €10pm and I'm not a very heavy broadband user

How does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Oige1981

buzz11 wrote: »
    Can I ask you if this would be suitable for a replacement of phone line broadband?

I'm not very techie so could you explain if switching to sim broadband is a runner to replace my existing digiweb broadband via phone line?

There would be a major cost saving of €49pm v's €10pm and I'm not a very heavy broadband user

How does it work?

Try it order sim - check your happy with it and then if good cancel if not continue. I have GoMo and have just installed Digiweb from being with EIR for years and the savings alone are going to be amazing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wavert

buzz11 wrote:

Potentially but it all depends on the GoMo (or other service provider) data reception on you home. How many bars do you have on your phone? Run a speed check on your phone and see.
    buzz11 wrote:

Depending on your requirements you could just use your phone as a hotspot (assuming you have a smart phone with this capability). Alternatively you need to purchase a router that takes a SIM and then it just acts the same as you current router that is connected to your landline. Instead of using a landline you use the mobile phone network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Monica Mc Donnell

I have a house in the West of Ireland that I want to have some form of WiFi in, currently there is no wifi?Broadband in the house.

There is a good 4G signal in the that part of the country.
    I have asked my neighbour who is fairly techy ( Im not) what can I do here, he advised getting a 4G Wifi router for the house with a PAYG SIM, as I don't want signing up for any packages, this is only a holiday home, but I need wifi for teenagers!

whats the best type of router? I see ones in Harvey Norman looking on-line.
    and also whats the cheapest PAYG SIM I could get? again I might be only in this house one weekend in the month..

Thanks in advance. Monica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

How large an area do you need the wi-fi to cover? I just use my phone as a wi-fi hotspot in my holiday home but I don't have to worry about wi-fi coverage for other rooms.

However in another house where I wanted better wi-fi coverage (and LAN connections for powerline adaptors) I used a Huawei B593 and was very happy with it, though it may have been superseded by newer types like the B525 listed above. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-B593s-22-Unlocked-Wireless-Router/dp/B009QW3ZG4.

Which PAYG sim you use depends on signal for that network in the house and your particular needs. For example on Three you spend €20 on the PAYG SIM for a months free data that you can subsequently top up, that's what I use but I tried Meteor first before finding it too slow. GOMO might also be an option. Check out their offerings online and ask your neighbour what he uses.

Note that some, but not most, walls may stop or severely degrade wifi signal. I live in a 19th century building with thick rubble interior walls and getting decent wifi signal through them is a no-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

MF290 wrote: »
    Are the 4g routers with antennas much better than the like of a small huawei.
    This is for running the main internet of the house through. I have been using mobile hotspot up to now but it can be hit and miss at times.

Yes, they are. I have both the TP-Link and the Huawei and after some monitoring I found the Huawei to hold the 4G mobile data signal better and has more features than the TP-Link. The Huawei comes with antennas you connect to the rear improves 4G signal a good amount. The higher the location of the box the better for both 4G and internal wifi.

Advertisement