Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive with Bord Gais

Options
  • 04-11-2019 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

In the process of getting a new boiler as the old one packed in.

A friend was suggesting to get get Hive put in and control the temp etc of house from my phone.

I’m not up to date on all that and guy who’s doing boiler told me to ring bord gais and see if any good deals on it.

I rang but they wanted me to move electricity with them aswel but I’m tied into a contract with someone else so can’t avail of their hive offer.

The guy doing boiler said he can do it aswel.

Can anyone recommend Hive or what is their experience of using it. Is it good or just a fancy gimmick like Alexa on a tv etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

I've had one for a year. It's good, but I wouldn't jump through hoops to get one. I enjoy turning on the boost from my phone from bed before I get up, or if it's chilly I can set it to come on before I come home. But other than the phone aspect of it I don't really think it's very different to a normal manual setup.
    I got mine for free through a BG offer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

Thanks for the reply,

Do you know if the new boiler I am getting had to be installed differently to allow the hive to be connected at a later date if I decide not to go ahead with it now?

fjon wrote: »
    I've had one for a year. It's good, but I wouldn't jump through hoops to get one. I enjoy turning on the boost from my phone from bed before I get up, or if it's chilly I can set it to come on before I come home. But other than the phone aspect of it I don't really think it's very different to a normal manual setup.
    I got mine for free through a BG offer too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Most boilers are compatible with Hive, and your installer can get it from his local Heatmerchants and install.

If you get your boiler installed with an external programmer controlling your separate zones, this can easily be replaced at anytime with Hive.

(you may find little difference in the cost of a good programmer and Hive though, so maybe cheaper in the long run to do at same time as boiler install)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but thought it made sense, as I'm looking for some opinions / info on Hive please.

I'm thinking of getting Hive through BG, as part of a new dual fuel deal.

The BG website indicates that its compatible with your existing system, but what I'm wondering is this:

* Once it's installed, does it restrict who can service my boiler in the future? Or create any additional service / maintenance?

* Does it have any impact on my later moving to another service provider, or will it work with any power supplier?

* any hidden costs, once its installed?

* what's its expected lifespan?

What are peoples opinions on the Hive, was it worth getting and any problems with it?

Many thanks,

Thanks,

G.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Hi,

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but thought it made sense, as I'm looking for some opinions / info on Hive please.

I'm thinking of getting Hive through BG, as part of a new dual fuel deal.

The BG website indicates that its compatible with your existing system, but what I'm wondering is this:

* Once it's installed, does it restrict who can service my boiler in the future? Or create any additional service / maintenance? NO

* Does it have any impact on my larger moving to another service provider, or will it work with any power supplier? NO, not provider driven

* any hidden costs, once its installed? NO

* what's its expected lifespan? Same as any timer device

What are peoples opinions on the Hive, was it worth getting and any problems with it? Works fine

Many thanks,

• Advertisement
Advertisement