Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike storage in shed

Options
  • 04-11-2019 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

I recently moved house, and the new house didn't have a shed, so I bought an antivandal site office to house my bikes.

I have an virtual cube of about 2.1 meters wide, by 2.4 meters high by 2 metres deep to store the bikes, and was looking for suggestions. At the moment, I am thinking of some sort of shelf that i can put bikes under, and on, with some sort of contraption to hold the bikes. Anyone else got any other suggestions or ideas?

something like this:

stack-rack.jpg

Thanks,
    Lenny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Exodus 1811

That looks pretty industrial and might be a poor use of space.

Vertical hangers are usually a good use of space. You can then anchor a shackle to any steel support on the structure for locking.

More space means more room for bikes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

That looks pretty industrial and might be a poor use of space.

Vertical hangers are usually a good use of space. You can then anchor a shackle to any steel support on the structure for locking.

More space means more room for bikes!!

my preference is to not hang them tbh. im not a fan of that as i dont think it's good for the wheels.

re more bikes - ive been edging closer to s-1 for years, not sure how many more I will get away with. I think at last count it was 16 or thereabouts in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

I think I need another Monday morning coffee. I keep reading that as you have 16 bikes inside the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Plastik wrote: »
    I think I need another Monday morning coffee. I keep reading that as you have 16 bikes inside the house!

Same here. I have to be missing something. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Not sure about the delivery cost but Planet X are selling off display racks which are not as rugged as the type you mentioned
    TOBSART257DIS_P1.jpg?v=6
    The one above is is £233
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBSART257DIS/bicisupport-shop-display-for-8-bicycles---ex--display-stand

There is also a 10 bike version with a 1.68m x 1.68m footprint for £144
    FP553_P1.jpg?v=6
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FP553/bicisupport-10-bicycle-display-stand-(used)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

https://www.steadyrack.com/

the wheel rests on the rack, rather than hanging from it (though TBH I don't think the latter is a problem either, wheels are pretty strong)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

If you bought 2 of the ten bike racks, you'd have an argument to acquire 3 or 4 more bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Eamonnator wrote: »
    If you bought 2 of the ten bike racks, you'd have an argument to acquire 3 or 4 more bikes.

Fcuk that, buy a slightly bigger shed, move family to that and leave the 16 bikes in house seems a sensible course of action

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

lennymc wrote: »
    my preference is to not hang them tbh. im not a fan of that as i dont think it's good for the wheels.

Does not compute.

Wheel supports 30kg + in normal use before you even count impacts. You're hanging 8kg off it in storage. Hanging shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

ED E wrote: »
    Does not compute.

Wheel supports 30kg + in normal use before you even count impacts. You're hanging 8kg off it in storage. Hanging shouldn't be a problem.

One reason to choose not to hang a bike by the front wheel is if you have deep section wheels which consist of an alloy rim and a carbon "fairing". Depends on how fragile that fairing is, but personally I wouldn't risk hanging the bike on it.

Mind you, I'm not a fan of hanging bikes from the front wheel anyway. My entirely subjective take on it is that I don't want that hanging load on the front dropouts, the fork blades, or the headset bearings. The dropouts, fork blades, and headset bearing take anything from a little to a lot of abuse while riding the bike of course but hanging the bike places stress from a different direction/angle. Some (like me) consider that a risk not worth taking, some consider it not a risk at all, there is no right or wrong answer really just a matter of personal preference.

• Advertisement

re hanging - yeah, it shouldn't be a problem, but I don't really like it. No problem with other people hanging their bikes, but it's not something I want to do.

I could build up two of these, add the shelf/platform, and use that for storing.

550356664c3b530caddaf6b0212c2be5.jpg

Ill keep having a look, and will see what i can find. Thanks for all the responses so far.

a bank of these might also work

diy-bike-stand-diy-pvc-mountain-bike-stand-diy-bike-rack-pvc-diy-pvc-bike-stand.jpg

lennymc wrote:
    I have an virtual cube of about 2.1 meters wide, by 2.4 meters high by 2 metres deep to store the bikes, and was looking for suggestions. At the moment, I am thinking of some sort of shelf that i can put bikes under, and on, with some sort of contraption to hold the bikes. Anyone else got any other suggestions or ideas?

If the walls (or roof/ceiling) of the cube are robust and thick enough one option is to screw some hooks into them to hang one bike close to the ceiling (top tube resting on the hooks) and the other bike can lean against the rear wall underneath. For the next "layer" of bikes you'd probably have no choice but to hang the upper bike from the ceiling, etc. This would make decent use of the space but obviously makes getting to the bike a the back a bit of a pain as you'd have several bikes in the way.

If the walls and ceiling are not robust or thick enough then you could maybe install 1 or 2 poles from floor to ceiling per "layer" of bikes and hang one or both bikes from that (as described in this thread, although you could probably do it a lot cheaper with cruder posts made from wood for example). Access is still a pain, and particularly if you use 2 poles per pair of bikes.

Or store the bikes with one wheel in the air, with a strip of wood on the floor for the lower wheel to rest against and some lightweight hooks (or even just velcro straps, or a wood shelf with notches cut into it) set into the wall up high to hold the upper wheels and stop the bikes from falling sideways. Problem there is that the handlebars will eat up side-to-side space - you could alternate the bikes with one bike resting on back wheel, next bike resting on front wheel, etc., but that would make it extra tricky to get the balance right for those bikes resting on the front wheel. It also means that the next layer of bikes is tricky, you could just leave them horizontal and resting against the back layer but that's a bit of an access headache again.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Exodus 1811

The vertical element of the stand wouldn't be supporting any weight, merely just holding the top wheel in place. Lower wheel can be held in place with two lats of wood or pipe as above. As I type i realize Doozerie has described this exactly.

I suppose there is many ways to skin a cat. In terms of loads on bearings etc from hanging bikes, as experessed above, your bike is exepriencing loads of a way larger magnitude in everyday use and also from different directions than you would expect.

Anyways, more importantly, any pictures of the bikes lenny??

Anyways, more importantly, any pictures of the bikes lenny??

This was me moving them recently.

truck-bed-bike-racks-diy-truck-bed-bike-rack-truck-bed-bike-rack-diy-pvc.jpg

I took a look at your thread doozerie, and like that idea. Mecanic (i think) had a picture of four bikes on a pole, i wonder what volume space they take up. 4 of those, holding 4 bikes might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

How much did you pay for it? I'm curious for myself.
    I don't as many bike as you, but I'm toying up a few options for a bike storage/bike garage/zwift/home office. Just had a baby a few months back and the man cave is being slowly taken away from me....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I laughed at the 16 bikes.
    Then started thinking.......
    7 bikes 5 kayaks

Moving house, shed is my number one consideration.

BTW I'm no fan of hanging from wheel, but I have no problem with rear wheel on ground and front wheel held in place at height, doing this with two with a lock off the rafters at minute

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

a bank of these might also work
    I've never run into issues hanging by the front wheel (but I only have crap wheels!), but like the look of these as a mobile option. Any link to plans?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've never run into issues hanging by the front wheel (but I only have crap wheels!), but like the look of these as a mobile option. Any link to plans?

no link to plans, I just found the image online, but if i make something i'll include details up here.

re the anti vandal office - i looked at the cost of steel sheds, but by the time i had laid a slab, insulated, wired and made them presentable, they were coming in around 8 - 10k.

The unit I got was based on a shipping container, and came wired, insulated, and very presentable fittings inside. it was circa 5k plus delivery. It will sit on 4 piers (one at each corner) so no expensive slab either. I just need to connect it up to the mains and away I go. Way I figure it, it leaves more money for more bikes. :)

It looks something like this at the moment:

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTaT8xXClrf4eWVj-XWkIrug_G2BufOuCRlJ_68ZnTGn_4srRGx

I plan on cladding it to make it look something like:
    cabin-container.jpg

but that is next years job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

doozerie wrote: »
    Mind you, I'm not a fan of hanging bikes from the front wheel anyway. My entirely subjective take on it is that I don't want that hanging load on the front dropouts, the fork blades, or the headset bearings. The dropouts, fork blades, and headset bearing take anything from a little to a lot of abuse while riding the bike of course but hanging the bike places stress from a different direction/angle.

I'm pretty sure that the forces acting on fork and headset in hanging are similar in direction to those acting on fork and headset while riding. Hanging exerts a force forward* on fork blades and on headset. Riding also exerts a force component forward on the same blades and headset. The only force different between hanging and riding is a downward component on the dropout in hanging which is not present when riding.

* Force directions are translated to the normal riding orientation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your fork has to be able to comfortably take your body weight under heavy braking; at that point, there may be little or no weight transferred through the back wheel.

the force of breaking will push the fork backwards towards the frame, whereas hanging the bike by the front wheel will transfer a pulling force, away from the frame, which the fork would not normally experience under day to day use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Your weight downward on the front wheel results in a forward force, away from the frame. Exactly the same as hanging. When you come down off a Peter Sagan style wheelie, there's a significant forward force right there.

Consider the reaction force on the fork below. It's upwards from the ground. Split that into components acting along the head tube and perpendicular to the head tube. The perpendicular force is forward, not backward.
    bicycle_physics_1.png

This was me moving them recently.

truck-bed-bike-racks-diy-truck-bed-bike-rack-truck-bed-bike-rack-diy-pvc.jpg

On a forum for the less enlightened that photo would generate screams of horror about the number of bikes. On this forum, the screams would be about the criminal under-use of the sides of the van.
    lennymc wrote:
    I took a look at your thread doozerie, and like that idea. Mecanic (i think) had a picture of four bikes on a pole, i wonder what volume space they take up. 4 of those, holding 4 bikes might work.

The width is easy enough to determine, since it's the length of the bike with the longer total length, assuming that the handlebars of each pair of bikes line up nicely with the saddle of the other.

For the front-to-back dimension, I checked my hanging setup just now and the (Ikea) pole is about 5cm in diameter, and the (Ikea) hook holds the centre line of the top tube about 6cm from the pole. In my case the handlebars are 40cm wide, which means the widest part of the bike being the outer face of the handlebar is 26cm from the outer face of the pole. For a bike with the same handlebar width on the other side of the pole, the total depth would be about 57cm. Wider handlebars would obviously add depth. And you'd have to allow some clearance to unhook each bike too.

In terms of height, us short people have things easier. My wife's bike is a 50cm, and mine is a 52cm, and that leaves plenty of space to hang one above the other with a conventional 2.4m ceiling.

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Your weight downward on the front wheel results in a forward force, away from the frame. Exactly the same as hanging. When you come down off a Peter Sagan style wheelie, there's a significant forward force right there.

Consider the reaction force on the fork below. It's upwards from the ground. Split that into components acting along the head tube and perpendicular to the head tube. The perpendicular force is forward, not backward.
    bicycle_physics_1.png

Very true, the forces are actually quite similar. There are differences though, while sitting on the bike there is a downward pressure on the headset as well a forward pressure, whereas when hanging that downward pressure is largely absent.

Does that make the slightest difference? I honestly don't know but the difference makes my inner nerd twitch. I must admit though that I'm biased, and scarred, as one of my bikes has a headset with a pathological determination to loosen as soon as I look at it - it breaks my heart and has probably left me paranoid about stresses on headsets generally (as an aside, I suspect my headset problem is due to a poorly faced head tube and I'm living in denial that it might need some serious effort to cure it once and for all).

Advertisement