Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best race atmosphere Ireland

Options
  • 04-11-2019 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

I know Dublin marathon has super support and is probably the best without doubt for atmosphere. Just wondering what other race events around the country would rank as having great atmosphere and support?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Tommy Max wrote: »
    I know Dublin marathon has super support and is probably the best without doubt for atmosphere. Just wondering what other race events around the country would rank as having great atmosphere and support?

The finish in the Drogheda 10k is excellent, the last 500m or so are in the centre of the town with packed crowds lining the street, a DJ etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Tommy Max wrote:

The last few hundred metres in dunshaughlin 10k and great limerick run are phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

As far as crowd support in marathons go, DCM is far ahead of any other race in Ireland.

Cork isn't bad either, but nowhere near the same level.

Most other races you better get used to running without support, apart from the odd spot and the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Raheny 5 and the National Road Relays (also in Raheny) are pretty great for atmosphere (particularly at the end).

National Novice XC generally has a good crowd, wherever it is, Dublin Novice and Dublin masters XC have good support too.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Great limerick run is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Trim Braveheart is pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The closing stages of the John Treacy 10 Miler are pretty decent in terms of crowds and atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Dingle Half and Full both have nice finishes (the atmosphere enroute is good in a few spots like Ventry and also within the group of runners themselves). The Half finishes outside of Kruger's pub in Dunquin and the last few hundred meters are downhill and around a sharp left turn where you have barriers both side and plenty of fellow runners who cheer you to the finish. Always enjoy the finish there.
    The finish for the full runs back in the last 2K or so that you ran at the start of the race on and the full runners get a good cheer from half runners (back off the buses from the half) through to the finish line where the gen pop are.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As far as crowd support in marathons go, DCM is far ahead of any other race in Ireland.

Cork isn't bad either, but nowhere near the same level.

Most other races you better get used to running without support, apart from the odd spot and the finish line.

Agree with this, DCM is the way to go for crowd.
    Cork is ok, but its miles ahead of Limerick which is a fairly lonely affair for a city marathon imho (you only get crowds for the last few miles)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

diego_b wrote: »
    Dingle Half and Full both have nice finishes (the atmosphere enroute is good in a few spots like Ventry and also within the group of runners themselves). The Half finishes outside of Kruger's pub in Dunquin and the last few hundred meters are downhill and around a sharp left turn where you have barriers both side and plenty of fellow runners who cheer you to the finish. Always enjoy the finish there.
    The finish for the full runs back in the last 2K or so that you ran at the start of the race on and the full runners get a good cheer from half runners (back off the buses from the half) through to the finish line where the gen pop are.

The musicians out at intervals along the way are a nice touch. Lads with Bodhráns and fiddles out at the cliffs on Slea Head, even passed an (African?) Steel Drum Band at the last hill before Dingle back in 2018. I assume the race organisers must pay them because they would have been out for hours in awful rain on this occaision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭ooter

the finish of the 10k out in swords that's part of the race series is decent from my experience.
    and raheny 5 mile as already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

The 8 k streets of Galway in August is good fun

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Sacksian wrote: »
    Raheny 5 and the National Road Relays (also in Raheny) are pretty great for atmosphere (particularly at the end).

National Novice XC generally has a good crowd, wherever it is, Dublin Novice and Dublin masters XC have good support too.

Very much yes to the Raheny 5 for atmosphere, it's outstanding. Apart from the DCM, I can't think of any event that comes close in my experience.

Terenure 5 also is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭racersedge

Dun Laoighaire’s ‘The Bay 10K’ gets great support the whole way around. Residents and locals seem to really back it. I’ve made the trek up to it three times because of that (and likely to be a fourth this year)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    The musicians out at intervals along the way are a nice touch. Lads with Bodhráns and fiddles out at the cliffs on Slea Head, even passed an (African?) Steel Drum Band at the last hill before Dingle back in 2018. I assume the race organisers must pay them because they would have been out for hours in awful rain on this occaision.

I would guess so, I know they give something to schools in the county that help them with providing volunteers for water stations. It’s not a cheap race to enter but does a lot of things right to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SwordsRunner

Dunshaughlin 10k
    Raheny 5 mile

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Castlepollard 5K

Dunshaughlin 10k
    DCM obviously
    Mullingar Half..most of the way around apart from the torture on the canal, but great atmosphere everywhere else.

Athlone Half had a brilliant atmosphere (back in the day!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

When Dunboyne was a 4 miler, it had super support as you went through the town 3 times.

Dunshaughlin 10k is good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Derry Walled City Marathon has decent support. Not all the way through, but there is a lovely vibe in along the city centre. Annual event for me now. June bank holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 highlandcow

The streets of portlaoise 5k on St Patrick's day has good crowds for the start and finish down Main street.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

National cross country day is an epic one . The senior mens race the last day was something else dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Derry Walled City Marathon has decent support. Not all the way through, but there is a lovely vibe in along the city centre. Annual event for me now. June bank holiday weekend.

Is this a tough course? Tempted to tackle it as my first this year.

Advertisement