Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The default gateway is not available

Options
  • 03-11-2019 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭

I've got a Windows 10 of which is connected via ethernet cable via a network adapter to a bit home hub.

It refuses to connect due to "The default gateway is not available" error message.

I've checked the ethernet driver. It is up to date and hasn't been updated since we got it. Roll back option greyed out.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver.

Turned of fast start.

Used nutshell reset commend.

Turned off router and switch for 30 s then turned back on in order.

Tried a network reset.

It states that the network is unidentified.

Nothing is having an effect. At a guess, there was a Windows update which caused the problem initially as it has been very stable for over a year now. This is in a new build and all sockets etc are fine.
    Internet is working as I'm currently using it on my phone.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

MMC >> Group Policy Object Editor: Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Network List Manager Policies
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/security-policy-settings/network-list-manager-policies
    Select your network and in properties, under "Network Location" tab set to private

494362.JPG

Other than that
    Try uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on adapter properties.
    Try static IP
    See antivirus soft(if applicable) to insure it recognize you network as private

• Registered Users Posts: 8,090 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

MMC >> Group Policy Object Editor: Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Settings | Network List Manager Policies
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/security-policy-settings/network-list-manager-policies
    Select your network and in properties, under "Network Location" tab set to private

494362.JPG

Other than that
    Try uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" on adapter properties.
    Try static IP
    See antivirus soft(if applicable) to insure it recognize you network as private

I've unchecked that previously but no effect.
    Network is already set to private.

The default gateway and the DNS servers have the same IP address. Trying to resolve that in order to switch to a static IP.

Setup a static IP, but still no joy.
    Ipconfig shows the correct values for the end etc. I had to log into router to get them though.

The primary DNS suffix is blank and DHCP enabled is No.
    Are these problems.

I'm getting fed up now. What else could it be?

Why can I not set it up wirelessly?

There is no option to do so despite there being a number of wan miniports listed in the network adapters.

Turned off Windows defender av and firewall.
    No joy.

Running network diagnostics said that the specific IP address is incorrect.

• Advertisement

Turned off Windows defender av and firewall.
    No joy.

Running network diagnostics said that the specific IP address is incorrect.
    What IP is your router (aka Default gateway) is on?
    Once you set static, DHCP=NO is normal status on PC. What IP(and other metrics) you statically assigned to PC?

Default gateway and DNS on same IP is normal in most domestic setups as it is same device that serves it.
    Default gateway IS YOUR ROUTER and this is the address you should set if trying static setup.
    For DNS you can leave dynamic, set same address as router or set to 8.8.8.8(google)

Before setting static IP, ensure no other devices are using it.
    Ping that address from device that is successfully connected to that network or see list of leased addresses on router. Address that is not pinging or not listed could be used.

It states the device is connected and can access other services on local network, but cannot reach internet.
    However I cannot access the router using is IP address.

It states the device is connected and can access other services on local network, but cannot reach internet.

I've just checked and it states this is only device connected using ethernet.

• Advertisement

So, my IP address is the address assigned to the pc from the router.
    The subnet mask is as per the defined value in the router.

The default gateway used is the IP address of the router.

DNS server is 8.8.8.8 as you stated.

I've just checked and it states this is only device connected using ethernet.
    OK so you got on network then, set DNS1 to same as router, leave DNS2 as 8.8.8.8 see if makes difference.
    you could flush DNS to clear cache

CMD >> ipconfig /flushdns

Double check if IP for router is not changed, from other device.

So I ran the diagnosis again and it said I needed to do a network reset as admin.
    Done it. Restarted pc and it is connected again.

Done a subsequent restart and it is still going. No idea what is happening.

So I ran the diagnosis again and it said I needed to do a network reset as admin.
    Done it. Restarted pc and it is connected again.

Done a subsequent restart and it is still going. No idea what is happening.
    So i take you're online now.

Yes. Parents back online at last. I can now start my 1.5 got journey home!

Thanks for your help. I've no idea why that fixed the problem or what caused it.

Yes. Parents back online at last. I can now start my 1.5 got journey home!

Thanks for your help. I've no idea why that fixed the problem or what caused it.
    Joy of having Win10 perhaps....

Advertisement