Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 litres of diesel into an empty kerosene tank/boiler

Options
  • 02-11-2019 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Ran out of kerosene last night. Its a condensing boiler.
    By accident I put 20 litres of diesel (marked oil) into the tank, to get me over the weekend. I haven't bled the system or fired the boiler yet.

Should I bleed the system and use the boiler until the kerosene arrives on Monday? Would 2 day's use damage the burner/heat exchanger?

I'd prefer to live in a cold house than cause problems!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I know nothing about these systems, but firing an oil burner with diesel sounds extremely dangerous, but I may stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Diesel is a more refined fuel so unlikely to cause major damage (similar to putting diesel into a petrol car)
    The other way around would be extremely bad.

Diesel is also less flammable than Kerosene.

I'd like to think not using it, then diluting with 980 L of kerosene when you get it filled would be fine, but the correct solution is still probably to get it drained.

I am not an expert by any means. Consult an oil company. One phone call and they'll have you sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I know nothing about these systems, but firing an oil burner with diesel sounds extremely dangerous, but I may stand corrected

Not dangerous oil is diesel or kerosene.

Need a different nozzle though I believe.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Ran out of kerosene last night. Its a condensing boiler.
    By accident I put 20 litres of diesel (marked oil) into the tank, to get me over the weekend. I haven't bled the system or fired the boiler yet.

Should I bleed the system and use the boiler until the kerosene arrives on Monday? Would 2 day's use damage the burner/heat exchanger?

I'd prefer to live in a cold house than cause problems!

A good boiler man could possibly sort it out to burn properly for a few days, but otherwise it's best left until you put at least 1/2 a tank of kerosene in the tank.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭jimf

no way use the boiler just drain the tank

as for mixing fuel I wouldn't

boiler manf ask for kerosene only to be used for a reason

they can be set up to run on gas oil but not worth the hassle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

jimf wrote: »
    no way use the boiler just drain the tank

as for mixing fuel I wouldn't

boiler manf ask for kerosene only to be used for a reason

they can be set up to run on gas oil but not worth the hassle

^^^^^
    This is the correct advise, do not use the boiler.
    If your boiler has been set up and commissioned correctly then it has been finely tuned to run on Kerosene.
    Burning diesel (gas-oil) with the boiler as is can cause sooting which will affect the boiler efficiency, and, depending on the model, can be a demon to clean out properly afterwards.
    If you are stuck and live in Dublin kerosene can be bought on Sunday at Firhouse car wash, Ballycullen Ave and Texaco service station, Crumlin Rd. You will need your own drum for both.

Advertisement