Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capping a gas line?

Options
  • 01-11-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭

so I got a new boiler installed today and part of the job was capping off an old gas pipe to a gas fire that I no longer want.

i would have expected an actual end cap to be soldered on...but it seems the pipe was just bent back on itself and soldered to itself....is this a valid/safe method or do I need to get them back to cap it "properly"?

It was checked for leaks (based on the gunge still on it) but it has me a little worried...

Comments

GreeBo wrote: »
    so I got a new boiler installed today and part of the job was capping off an old gas pipe to a gas fire that I no longer want.

i would have expected an actual end cap to be soldered on...but it seems the pipe was just bent back on itself and soldered to itself....is this a valid/safe method or do I need to get them back to cap it "properly"?

It was checked for leaks (based on the gunge still on it) but it has me a little worried...

That is not expectable and is brutal any RGI doing that kind of work is risking their livelihood and if they blow you up their freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,042 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

gary71 wrote: »
    That is not expectable and is brutal any RGI doing that kind of work is risking their livelihood and if they blow you up their freedom.

is there a standard anywhere that I could point to?
    Also what certification/commissioning should I have received?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

id say call your gas company surely if done wrong they would send out someone asap, seems a bit unusual, sure that pipe wasn't capped closer to boiler room/ source ? - to prevent even gas traveling towards old fireplace.

scamalert wrote: »
    id say call your gas company surely if done wrong they would send out someone asap, seems a bit unusual, sure that pipe wasn't capped closer to boiler room/ source ? - to prevent even gas traveling towards old fireplace.

Nah, its capped just after it T's off the main line.

At the time he said it wasn't covered in the job (though I had said it to the guy who did the quote)
    I had also wanted a valve put on the branch to my gas hob but he hadn't got any with him. He didnt say he didn't have any caps though, I only noticed it after he was gone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Have seen this done before where a gas fire was taken out for a stove to be put in.

So basically underneath the red hot stove the gas company left a live gas pipe bent over and soldered like you described.

And this was from a RGI too!!

Crazy stuff all together.

• Advertisement

is there a standard anywhere that I could point to?
    Also what certification/commissioning should I have received?

Isolating a gas pipe to meet Gas Regs requires a appropriate gas fitting.

494269.jpg

So this is what I have.. About 1m under the boiler.
    I suspected it would need a proper fitting alright.
    This guy is supposed to be an rgii from a large company that shouts about it's rgi-ness.

Should I also have some cert or benchmark commissioning sheet or something to prove I didn't do it myself?

I also got an ideal 30kw rather than the 30kw Bosch that was quoted during the initial review... Much of a difference?

Any gas works must be accompanied by Cert issued by the RGI to document the work done and confirm the work meets the current standards.

Personally I would prefer the Bosch but thats not to say the Ideal is a lesser boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭dodzy

I also got an ideal 30kw rather than the 30kw Bosch that was quoted during the initial review... Much of a difference?

If I was quoted for the Bosch, I'd be asking why I didn't get it. (Although you can probably guess the answer yourself despite what you are likely to be told)

• Advertisement

Christ on a bike.

This is why I hate letting people do work on my house.
    The genius who came back to install my new 7-day timer has installed it in series with the old one, so now unless they are both on I get nothing.

If the original is off then there is no power to the new one, if original is on but the new one off the boiler keeps firing but there is no display (Its not just the pump, I can hear the gas firing too)

and now I have to pay these incompetent cretins?!

Advertisement