Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game On

• 01-11-2019 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭

Is there anything that can be done to get Hugh,Gary and Alan back now the rwc is over? I just cant warm to ruby and Donacha . I use to read marie Crowes articles which where very good but i dont think she works on radio either.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

not a sports fan, but the show has sold out to the celebrity presenters and it sounds really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I'd have to agree. All the presenters are talented in their own fields but it's not working as a package here. I'm possibly in a minority of one but I thought that Game On developed into a better show than Off The Ball as the latter had become too bland. Since the change in presenters though I'm not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭RINO87

Yeah, I liked it as an alternative to OTB. I liked Cawley's LOI bits. The new incarnation of Game On is very very poor. Sounds like community radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭roadmaster

it wonder do RTE care how bad its gone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It seems like a strange choice to replace experienced and good presenters with people who've never done anything like this before and then give them twice the time the previous lot had!

I would have thought given the length of the show that they'd keep both groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

What was the idea in changing the presenters? I can't warm to the new set up at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

This show is an embarrassment. Real armchair knowledge all-around.

Donnacha O'Callaghan seems like a lovely guy, but if brains were dynamite he wouldn't have enough to blow his cap off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Absolutely gone to the dogs. O Callaghan seems to have the mentality of a 10 year old. He's so childish he's awful and his lack of knowledge on sport is pathetic. He couldn't stop laughing at the name of Belgian football club Genk so there's not much going on between the ears. Crowe isn't much better either. Hard to listen to and i avoid it bar the soccer and GAA talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Can 2fm get Hugh Cahill back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

I agree it's gone to the dogs and is getting worse. Donnacha is like a big child and has absolutely no sports knowledge outside of rugby and even that seems limited. Marie is always trying to crowbar in women's sports stories, I'm not dismissing women's sports here just report on the main women's sports stories and not just be a cheerleader for women's sports at the expense of the main sports stories of the day. Ruby to be fair is ok but only seems to be part time.

It was much better (not perfect ) with Hugh, Alan and Gary on together, or when Damian or Evanna Ni Chuilin stood in for Hugh.

• Advertisement

What I don't get is that the old Game On team were part of the RTE Sports Dept...RTE staffers if you like.
    Then RTE brought in these 3 amateur presenters (as Contractors) to present a longer show with brutal standards.

I was under the impression RTE were trying to save money and to have Game On on 2FM as an extension of the existing Sports coverage on Radio 1 (where the show was initially)??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Agree, can't understand why they extended the show with 3 unproven presenters, I don't remember there being much notice before the changes happened, seemed to just turn up one Monday and off they went.
    The old team covered more in less time and had a decent knowledge of sports in general. A lot of time is wasted with Donnacha "joking " around, talking about Dancing with the Stars and uninteresting sports features which don't really go into much detail. Hard to see it lasting long term in its current format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,973 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

not a sports fan, but the show has sold out to the celebrity presenters and it sounds really bad

I have stopped listening completely.

Ruined it they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

It’s turned into what sounds like a really bad podcast recorded in someone’s bedroom.

they played a short tribute to larry gogan a few weeks back.

when donnacha was introducing the song he awkwardly announced:

"this is 2fm and With or without you" ...

He got U2 and 2fm mixed up !

they played a short tribute to larry gogan a few weeks back.

when donnacha was introducing the song he awkwardly announced:

"this is 2fm and With or without you" ...

He got U2 and 2fm mixed up !

He comes across as a civil fella and good craic, but a radio show host he ain't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Are the audio levels all over the place on the radio or is it just on the podcast?

The intro music is really loud and then I have to turn up the volume to hear the content. The Andy Farrell interview yesterday was so quiet that I could barely hear it.

With Eoghan McDermott leaving 2fm rte should get Hugh and Alan to do a game on AM show. I’d start listening to 2fm again then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Been listening to 2FM during the lockdown and have come across this show while making dinner.

I have to say, it's very poor. 3 people who are completely unproven at presenting a show like this. What is the RTE obsession with getting sports people to present the show? Look at the competition this is up against in terms of sports shows - Second Captains and OTB. Both of which are presented by actual people who understand how to present a sports program. And I say that as someone who doesn't particularly like OTB.

Ruby is pointless on this show. Trying to have the craic but just sending like a pr1ck with the way he delivers it.

Donnacha is good when giving an opinion on something but no use when trying to read scripted intro , etc

Marie just seems to struggle to get get oar in, finding it difficult to get back to the next sports news headline while the lads go off on one.

the previous format was much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

I think the two Johnnies doing the 3 to 6 shift will improve game on's ratings, my guess is that many two Johnnies fans will stick around for a sports show whereas Jenny Greene listeners would have switched off in droves at 6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bamayang

I check in to this every now and again, and I'm blown away by how bad it is every time. The lady who presents it is very nice, but god she is very unsure of herself, and it comes out in her presenting style. Probably some of that comes from who she has staring across at her as she speaks, Ruby walsh beats all in terms of misreable boringness. I've never heard someone so unsuited to the role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,836 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh it's disappointing because I do like the time of day that the show is on.

It's a little less 'woke' than OTB which is fine, but it's fairly depressing. Agreed on Ruby Walsh - He's absolutely awful and his overall sporting knowledge is very weak.

How is ruby in that show he is so boring he could be classsified as a weapon of mass distruction

If you want to hear someone more unsuited to a role, check out Donncha O'Callaghan on the Breakfast Show, where he tries to be witty, off the cuff and spontaneous.

A natural he isn't.

who is the new guy shane dawson presenting this show ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Seems to have joined RTE at the beginning of the year according to his twitter. Previously eir sport and Virgin Media. Has done a lot of Game On lately, Marie and Ruby missing quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I don't listen to RTE usually but it was on the channel when I sat into the car this evening.

There must have been 5 lads on, far too many. They were on about penalties and bad run ups and one said Pogba and his walking run ups...another lad chimed in "ah sure he's always walking" to which the other lads laughed as if it was some original witty joke.

I heard a voice, thought it sounded familiar, discussing hurling. That's not Ruby Walsh I thought to myself? Sure enough, it's eventually confirmed to be him. It just feels wrong to have people who are so well known for one sport to be giving opinions and discussing other sports. Same with Alan Quinlan talking about soccer or GAA.

Anytime I've listened to 2fm game on they seem to focus so much on horse racing. Dislike it because it just comes across as these macho men talking about gambling, lads talking about taking punts etc.

And there was a comment early in this thread about Ruby making jokes that fall flat and he had one this evening. Host made a joke about Alan Cawley not knowing much about horse racing and I think Ruby said something like "Alan wouldn't know much about soccer either" or "Alan would say I wouldn't know much about soccer either". His delivery is awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭amlinopta

It’s a poor program and out of place on the 2FM schedule. Ruby seems to appear early in the week only. Lots of horse racing talk, used to be a Boylesports weekend preview on a Friday with that lad Leon. I guess the bookies are throwing money at the likes of Game On and Off the Ball and Ruby involved with Paddy Power as well

• Advertisement

The show was listenable and sounded professional when Hugh Cahill presented.

But now it's like listening to a community radio sports show.

Advertisement