Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Centra shops and space for disabled access

Options
  • 01-11-2019 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

The Centra chain prides itself in having "Ireland's leading convenience grocery stores". They need to look up the definition of "convenience". The Centra shops in Ennis (Gort Road and Clonroadmore/Tobairteascain, I am not familiar with the Lahinch road shop) have "upgraded" in recent weeks/days resulting in more counters/stations. Great for having extra choices of course, but, the shops are too small to cope and, very unfortunately, it has left many areas of the shops without room to swing a cat; for two people to pass each other; and, most alarming of all, absolutely no way are they now accessible for people with disabilities/in wheelchairs. Can understand that Centra/Musgrave chain are putting pressure on the shop owners but, in this so called enlightened age, effectively excluding the non able-bodied is troubling and unfair. What is the point of disabled parking if they can't get into the shop and move about comfortably and safely? Are there no regulations that would have prevented this happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Balagan1 wrote: »
    The Centra chain prides itself in having "Ireland's leading convenience grocery stores". They need to look up the definition of "convenience". The Centra shops in Ennis (Gort Road and Clonroadmore/Tobairteascain, I am not familiar with the Lahinch road shop) have "upgraded" in recent weeks/days resulting in more counters/stations. Great for having extra choices of course, but, the shops are too small to cope and, very unfortunately, it has left many areas of the shops without room to swing a cat; for two people to pass each other; and, most alarming of all, absolutely no way are they now accessible for people with disabilities/in wheelchairs. Can understand that Centra/Musgrave chain are putting pressure on the shop owners but, in this so called enlightened age, effectively excluding the non able-bodied is troubling and unfair. What is the point of disabled parking if they can't get into the shop and move about comfortably and safely? Are there no regulations that would have prevented this happening?

New builds must be disabled compliant, houses, restaurants, bars, shops etc.

Older buildings do not have to comply with modern regulations.

I am not getting into an argument about disabled access but there are plenty of shops around Ennis that are suitable for disabled people to drive to.

Tesco, being one:

Disabled parking facilities are available.
    Assistance dogs are welcome in our store.
    Wheelchair assistance is possible in our store.
    Accessible baby changing facilities are available in-store.
    Fully accessible toilets are available within our store.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Balagan1

There is no doubt but that at the time of their construction, both buildings followed regulations and provided access and manoeuvring space for the disabled. The disabled can still enter those Centras but cannot manoeuver inside due to the new stations/shelving eating up so much of the space. So, can shops meet the regulations at one point and then flout the regulations thereafter with no consequences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Balagan1 wrote: »
    There is no doubt but that at the time of their construction, both buildings followed regulations and provided access and manoeuvring space for the disabled. The disabled can still enter those Centras but cannot manoeuver inside due to the new stations/shelving eating up so much of the space. So, can shops meet the regulations at one point and then flout the regulations thereafter with no consequences?

I don't know much about the enforcement of regulations but I do know that companies hate bad publicity. Perhaps take some photos highlighting the issues involved and send them to the shop owners and MD of Musgraves ? Also get local media involved, local radio, newspapers are good for highlighting issues.

I would not be a regular in the Centra's in my local area but Super valu is has fine wide aisles and plenty of space, even with extra stock out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Publicity is the way to go.
    Maybe first complain to management directly, and then arrange (after a week or two) for some form of 'demonstration' of the difficulties users of wheelchairs meet when attempting to buy from the shop, if nothing has changed.
    It might even be helpful to have a local member of the 'press' in attendance at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

easypazz wrote:
    I am not getting into an argument about disabled access but there are plenty of shops around Ennis that are suitable for disabled people to drive to.

Well that is definitely one way to start such an argument! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Radio5 wrote: »

I would not be a regular in the Centra's in my local area but Super valu is has fine wide aisles and plenty of space, even with extra stock out.

Not sure what Super Valu's you shop in, but I know a couple where even pushing a trolley around as an able bodied person can be a challenge. I think they sometimes try to fit all the extra seasonal products/promo offers in at the end of aisles or as a special display in the middle of an aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

The one in Tobairteascain is super tight, one wouldn't want to feel claustrophobic in there after the re-design. Its awful alright, you couldn't swing a cat in there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was in the Centra in Tobairteascain earlier, in a couple of places 2 people wouldn't be able to pass each other nevermind someone in a wheelchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Clareman wrote: »
    I was in the Centra in Tobairteascain earlier, in a couple of places 2 people wouldn't be able to pass each other nevermind someone in a wheelchair.

It's not only in Ennis. It's everywhere. My local one in Dublin is massive but they cram anything into any free space so it can be messy. Can only imagine what it would be like for someone in a wheelchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

In there again today. well actually twice this week, boxes thrown everywhere, those metal karts that they get deliveries everywhere you turned, you have to do the mexican cha cha around the shop to dodge everything !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I was in the 3 Centras in town this week, well 2 of them as the 3rd of them had a huge queue to get into the car park, they were mental absolutely mental, "able" bodied people couldn't get around them let alone anyone with difficulties, people have just lost the run of themselves but the Centras seem to have been setup for a quick in and out, maybe a stop at the deli counter, anything else causes panic.

Advertisement