Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling computers & Whatsapp

Options
  • 31-10-2019 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a head unit that integrates with WhatsApp ........I've had a (quick..) search but cant locate one. Lots of Garmins, and presumably others, easily pick up SMS and display the message, but with 95% of my IMs coming via WhatsApp these days, 1990's SMS technology is kinda redundant and I'd change out if there is a devices that fluidly integrates with WhatsApp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Works well on my Garmin 1030 (although I even find it annoying that I see work emails and everything when out on a bike)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i use signal (similar to whatsapp) and messages on that pop up on my garmin - but not whatsapp. so i suspect the issue is with whatsapp, not the head unit. i've not been bothered to see if there's a setting in whatsapp which can enable notifications, i don't really want to get pulled into conversations or be distracted by them while out on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

I have the vivoactive 3, and it can display WhatsApps, so at least some Garmin devices do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Can ye not just go for a spin and read your messages when you get home?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭cletus

In fairness, there's a whole host of reasons why someone might need to be able to see texts while either running or cycling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭jamesd

WhatsApp works on the 1030, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Works well on my Garmin 1030 (although I even find it annoying that I see work emails and everything when out on a bike)

works on my 820. It has canned responses. Had to use the feature once so far .
    l adjusted the settings in connect not to forward work email and many other apps - in fact l just forward calls, Sms and whatsapp I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Cheers for the replies, it looks as if I need to chop in my 520 for an 820 or 1030, though I think the 820 in particular gets very mixed reviews?

Something tells me too that my older HRM strap and GCS-10 sensor dont work with these models?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

on your phone, in garmin connect > settings > smart notifications; check which apps have permission to talk to your head unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

on your phone, in garmin connect > settings > smart notifications; check which apps have permission to talk to your head unit.

Thanks
    Yeah.... but that dictates what the phone will send, its a different matter as to what the device will accept/receive. In the case of the 520, when it comes to WhatsApp messages, it a case of 'you're name's is not down, you're not coming in'...:rolleyes:

Garmin have apparently said otherwise, but there's plenty of info online suggesting it's not a runner.

I'd love to be proved wrong on this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I started a thread on it a while back. Have a look for it and should help you . Although I had to warranty that particular 1030. I just can't get anything to synch to the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I have a Garmin fenix 3 hr, and it has displayed WhatsApp messages for years. Right, it's a watch but it does all of the bike bits, and there are mounts available for putting it on your bars. Might be an option

Advertisement