Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New water softener but shower water still hard

Options
  • 30-10-2019 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

Hi I recently had a water softener fitted.
    I noticed that when the electric shower in main bathroom is on the water softener is not reading any usage.
    What is the best solution? Will I have to get water softener moved

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭shane b

your post is a bit short on details. I have a water softener myself but its an older a time based one, I'm assuming yours is a volumetric type. Does it count down by litre?
    Make and model of softener would help and do you know is your shower is tank fed or mains fed?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

It's a clack water softener. It records current usage, so if the taps are on for example it will show as 5l... and go to 0when no water used.
    Everything is recording a reading except for the main electric shower, which I suspect.is mains fed

Most softeners are connected after the feed for the kitchen sink so that the kitchen sink still remains fed from the raw mains for drinking and cooking.
    If the shower is mains fed and the feed point is earlier than where the softener is connected it won't soften this water.
    Next step is determine for sure if shower is mains fed or not. Maybe close the supply from cold water tank and see if shower still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,883 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If your shower has a pump and pump noise then it's a tank fed shower. If the shower has no motor /pump then it is a mains fed shower and you won't hear a motor sound when it's running

Thanks so I have been doing some investigating.
    The shower is definitely mains fed.
    I have a separate shower which comes from the water tank.

The mains pipe was split and a water softener and shut off valve installed. The shut off valve stops all the water bar the mains shower. This stops once the water is shut off at the road.

I am going to get a plumber in to confirm and move the softener

• Advertisement

Renno123 wrote:
    The shut off valve stops all the water bar the mains shower.
    Thanks for the update. Just double check that your kitchen tap is still connected to the mains rather than the softener.

Thanks. I have the kitchen tap connected to the softener intentionally

Advertisement