Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler recommendations

Options
  • 30-10-2019 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I have a boiler (Saunier Themaclassic F30E SB, GC 41-920-45) that is not working. Error code indicates that "Air fault, pressure switch, no power to fan". There's also an issue with the system losing pressure frequently (every few weeks) which may be the expansion vessel in the boiler.

The boiler is about 18 years old and plumber's view is that they could fix but no guarantee there will not be other problems, probably best to replace it.

Doing some renovations to the house next summer so would probably replace it anyway.

So I'd like to get some view of what a good boiler is rather than just taking whatever the plumber recommends. Or at least to know what questions I should be asking.

3 bed, currently 8 rads (will add one more in attic when converted) and about 25sqm of underfloor heating in kitchen. Standard enough so I assume I'll have no issue getting suitable sized boiler?

Is there any advantage in buying the boiler myself or will plumber generally get the best trade price?

I assume any boiler I'd buy today will work with something like a Nest thermostat?

Anything else I should be looking out for?

I've been recommended the Ideal Vogue boilers (also the Logic). Which.co.uk seem to favour Vaillant boilers with Potterton and Ideal in second place.

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Vaillant are a very good boiler, but back up in Rep. Ireland can be hit and miss.
    In that price range (no particular order) you could consider Worcester Bosch, Vokera, Intergas.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Vaillant are a very good boiler, but back up in Rep. Ireland can be hit and miss.

Yeah, any time I had a plumber in to service the current Saunier boiler they'd be scratching their heads, "never saw one of those before"

I'm in Dublin, there appears to be a few companies doing Vaillant bilers.

That said there is no Ireland section on vaillant.com which presumably means there are no "official" agents here.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    In that price range (no particular order) you could consider Worcester Bosch, Vokera, Intergas.

Cheers

BillyBird wrote: »
    Yeah, any time I had a plumber in to service the current Saunier boiler they'd be scratching their heads, "never saw one of those before"

I'm in Dublin, there appears to be a few companies doing Vaillant bilers.

That said there is no Ireland section on vaillant.com which presumably means there are no "official" agents here.

Cheers

Vaillant do have a good guy looking after Dublin warranty work so you should have no problems in that respect.

Advertisement