Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on relocating

Options
  • 30-10-2019 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi!

I’m moving from Portugal (EU) to Dublin and I have two questions:

- Can I get a PPS number without a permanent address? I’ll go to Ireland to register myself there and get a PPS for my new job. During this time (week) I’ll be staying in a hostel/Airbnb. Will they still require a landlord note/ house bill?

- Do I have to legally spend any amount of days in Ireland or as long as I’m paying my taxes there, I can travel around Europe without limitation? (My job will be 100% remote so I can work from wherever I want)

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are you a Portuguese citizen? And how much of the year do you intend on living in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi!

I’m moving from Portugal (EU) to Dublin and I have two questions:

- Can I get a PPS number without a permanent address? I’ll go to Ireland to register myself there and get a PPS for my new job. During this time (week) I’ll be staying in a hostel/Airbnb. Will they still require a landlord note/ house bill?

- Do I have to legally spend any amount of days in Ireland or as long as I’m paying my taxes there, I can travel around Europe without limitation? (My job will be 100% remote so I can work from wherever I want)

Thank you for your help!

A PPS number is not identical to a NIF in Portugal and you can only obtain one if you can show that you need it for a specified transaction. Your new job is remote; is the employer Irish or can you demonstrate that you are moving to Ireland to be resident and subject to tax here? If not, and assuming you are not claiming any social welfare benefit or eligible to apply for medical assistance, you might not be able to get it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ricardodtleite

the_syco wrote: »
    Are you a Portuguese citizen? And how much of the year do you intend on living in Ireland?

Yes, I’m Portuguese and I want to live there less than six months. Probably 2-3 months per year max

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ricardodtleite

Marcusm wrote: »
    A PPS number is not identical to a NIF in Portugal and you can only obtain one if you can show that you need it for a specified transaction. Your new job is remote; is the employer Irish or can you demonstrate that you are moving to Ireland to be resident and subject to tax here? If not, and assuming you are not claiming any social welfare benefit or eligible to apply for medical assistance, you might not be able to get it at this stage.

The company is Irish and my contract will be taxed in Ireland too. But as I can work from wherever I want, I want to spend 2-3 months in Ireland and then travel the rest of the time to different countries. I don’t mind to be taxed on all my revenue in Ireland, I just don’t want to be taxed in another country too or have any implications on my taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You should talk to a tax consultant, who has experience with international income taxation, to go through your plan with them, to make sure that you end up having your tax residency in Ireland and not end up being taxed by accident in any other country, you are staying in during your travels. That might be complicated, especially if you don't stay in any country long enough to gain tax residency and don't have any personal ties (not even a permanent address). You should also talk to your HR department, to make sure what their rules are. I did something similar some years ago and wasn't for example allowed by my company to be out of Ireland for a lenght of time that would see my tax residency in Ireland being removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The company is Irish and my contract will be taxed in Ireland too. But as I can work from wherever I want, I want to spend 2-3 months in Ireland and then travel the rest of the time to different countries. I don’t mind to be taxed on all my revenue in Ireland, I just don’t want to be taxed in another country too or have any implications on my taxes.

All you need to know about ppsn including contact details.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you are taking up employment with an Irish company and have an offer slyer then that’s a good enough reason to obtain one. Proving your address might be less easy. If you are only going to spend 2-3 months per year in Ireland, you need not be taxed in Ireland but unless you obtain a PAYE dispensation and get paid gross for the other periods, you will be taxed in ireland. This will not protect you from other revenue authorities!

Advertisement