Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a bike fit advice

Options
  • 29-10-2019 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

I brought my bike to work today and a work buddy who is a keen cyclist firstly thought at my height of 5,11 that maybe I should have been sold a large frame not a medium ..

Secondly suggested my positioning was a bit out and advised I go for a bike fit... I totally respect his opinion and didnt go for a cry.

This is something I've thought about for a few years especially as I intend to keep bike for few more years. and luckily we have a guy fairly local who has a good reputation. .

The reason I haven't done this I suppose is because I do quite long cycles through steep mountain roads , I'm 44 and and dont suffer any knee and back problems , speed isnt top of my agenda. I also run a bit and decided to start training for triathlons.

I have no problems getting a bike fit done but in other cyclists opinions is it something that can make a positive difference. My shoes are badly beaten up so I would assume changing them before doing it if I went ahead....

Ok so any advice ???

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭G1032

The frame size... That's nonsense anyway imo. Smaller frame will be stiffer and lighter and easily made to fit you.

If you're not having any issues and have no interest in increased power or speed then you could leave well enough alone.

However a proper bike fit will allow you to be more efficient on the bike. If you're going to start competing in triathlons (on a road bike I assume) then a bike fit might be of benefit to you

First thing that'll be done with a bike fit will be cleat alignment so if you need new shoes I'd get them before a bike fit if you're getting one done

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

At your height a medium 54/56 frame would be about right so no you don’t need a larger frame.

As for bike fit, if your happy with your fit and have no problems or issues and enjoy being out on your bike then you don’t need a bike fit. If it’s not broke don’t fix it.

The fit is a good idea if you are doing a lot of miles and care about improving things maybe.

As others said you are likely on the right size frame but I mean one brand could have one you X size and another on Y size, reach and inside leg measurement would be a bigger factor than just your height. If you bought the bike in a reputable shop and sat on it before buying its almost certainly the right size.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Think of a bike fit as preventative maintenance on your body. If your pedaling motion or body position is slightly off it's no big deal if you're doing a 2 hour spin. However increase this to 8 hours (W200 for example) then every little imperfection gets magnified. First time I did the W200 my knee got really sore after 120k, it was only something very slight that was wrong but repeating the motion 35000 times sure fecked me up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the make/model/year of your frame?
    you may be able to find a manufacturer's sizing guide for it online, which is usually good enough, unless you're weirdly proportioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

There are loads of people who manage to cycle who never had a bike fit. Also, the sizes dont mean the same across all brands. One brand's 56 can be another's 54. For example Canyon have a very strange sizing system.

I'm exactly the same height. I have a couple of bikes in 54 and others in 56. I adjust fine to the change and can do long distances on any of them.

If you are comfortable on the bike, then its fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

what's the make/model/year of your frame?
    you may be able to find a manufacturer's sizing guide for it online, which is usually good enough, unless you're weirdly proportioned.

https://store.pedalrevolution.co.uk/1771168/products/merida-ride-400-2016-road-bike.aspx

My cycles are ussually around 50-80km on b roads ... and I do a few sportifs every year 160-180 km

I also have a touring bike I use sometimes that has peddles so was thinking of using for triathlon ... that's a flat bar bike... that bike is a merida 100 urban cross ..

https://www.merida-bikes.com/de-ch/bike/71/crossway-urban-100

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

If your not sure if you need a bike fit, sign up for the WW200. Once you finish, you should be tired, but if you are tired, have a sore neck and/or back, shoulders, knees or feet, then get a bike fit! (IMO You don’t need a bike fit)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

based on the current merida sizing, you're at the large end of medium, or the small end of large. based on the 'you're better off buying the smaller size if you're between sizes' advice, the medium is the one for you.

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en-gb/p/service/find-your-frame-size-225.html

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Any good, experienced cyclist should be able to eyeball you and advise if you need to change anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

If you've no pain or discomfort issues at the moment then you can probably get by without a fit. If you want to start doing triathlons, and especially if you'll be sticking clip on aero bars on the bike, then I definitely would get one, the aero bars will massively increase the risk of discomfort/ inefficiency. Make sure to get the aero bars first and tell the fitter Triathlon is your goal as the set up will vary accordingly.

Advertisement