Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unable to copy files into Pictures folder after moving it

• 29-10-2019 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I just reinstalled Windows 10 Pro using a USB stick created with Microsofts own creation tool.

The pc has 2x drives an SSD and a 3tb storage drive. Both drives were formatted before installing wWindows

I moved the "Pictures" folder from the default location to my second drive and now I'm unable to copy/paste files into the folder.

With "Pictures" in it's default location, I have no problems pasting files into the folder however, once moved it's not possible and I get the below error message.

494002.jpg

Ironically I can save into the Pictures folder when I did the above snip :rolleyes:

I've been at this since yesterday (after installing Windows) trying to figure out whats wrong and I figured reinstalling might help but it didn't, I'm stumped as to what it might be :confused:

---EDIT---

While I am copying files from a server over the network, I can copy/paste to my Desktop no issues but copying from the Desktop to the Pictures drive doesn't work. There's no antivirus or anything installed, just a fresh out of the box Windows install

---EDIT2---
    I seem to have fixed it by doing the below
    494005.jpg

---EDIT3---
    Seem to have this problem for any new folders created within "Pictures"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I suspect that drive was formatted by the old windows and this has different permissions from your new install.

There are some hacks that allow you to take ownership of a folder and all sub folders. But you use at your own risk. I've ever had a problem with them, personally.

I've ever found using doing it though the built in controls to work that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I used administrator tools to create a new volume for the 2nd drive after I deleted all partitions during windows installer

Well there's is a difference in permission however it was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

beauf wrote: »
    Well there's is a difference in permission however it was done.

Wol yes, something isn't sticking. I can do what's in the image in my second edit but once a new folder is created I get the error and have to do it again

Wol - nice.

I use third party controls to fix this in a fraction of the time. People have been complaining about this since the migration from XP to Windows 7. Life's too short.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/20/windows_file_permissions/

Lots of guides on you tube how to do it using the default dialogues, if you have time to waste.

• Advertisement
Advertisement