Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring marathons Ireland 2020

Options
  • 29-10-2019 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi,
    Just wondering can anyone advise me of any spring marathons in Ireland.Have seen the Tralee marathon is Easter Saturday and the connemarathon a couple of weeks later.Cant seem to find any others.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Belfast should be first Sunday in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Limerick is the Bank Holiday Sunday in May

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Kinvara 7th March.

Nothing in Jan nor Feb...

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Belfast should be first Sunday in May.

Wasn’t Belfast substantially short this year? That would make me uncertain about entering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

JohnDozer wrote: »
    Wasn’t Belfast substantially short this year? That would make me uncertain about entering it.

Substantially long. Only one of a number of reasons I’d be loathe to do it again. Limerick is a good race, Connemara beautiful but challenging. I’ve not tried Tralee or Kinvara, are they tough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Belfast had a bad year this year based on the feedback I've seen. One thing I don't like is that the finish is different location to the start - do the organisers transfer the bags deposited or how does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

JohnDozer wrote: »

Yeah, there was a problem all right which means it’s unlikely to happen two years in a row! :)

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Yeah, there was a problem all right which means it’s unlikely to happen two years in a row! :)

I don’t know about that now! Didn’t Waterford Full have distance issues on consecutive years? Takes a while to fully restore trust when the simple stuff goes wrong.

Substantially long. Only one of a number of reasons I’d be loathe to do it again. Limerick is a good race, Connemara beautiful but challenging. I’ve not tried Tralee or Kinvara, are they tough?

Tralee has gone back to the original route which was fairly undulating with one pretty decent climb out near the golf club. Think it was a pretty low key affair last year numbers wise as they clashed with two other Kerry events on the same weekend. On the quiet roads the field gets spread out very quick. Supposed to be well organised though.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Limerick is a good race alright. Not much support in the first half but a good crowd around for most of the second half. A couple of drags but no challenging hills. Was well orgainised the year I ran it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Would you travel to the UK? Manchester is very good and a fast course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭Cartman78

On a post marathon high at the minute and was looking at Manchester this morning :pac:

Brighton also seems decent from what I can gather (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭larrya

Yeah done Manchester couple of years ago and enjoyed it.Might head back there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

echancrure wrote: »
    Kinvara 7th March.

Nothing in Jan nor Feb...

I've never run a marathon before but I have a load of HM's run and am thinking of biting the bullet in 2020. I've run the Kinvara HM before but how would the marathon shape up? On a windy day I'd say it would be very tough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭opus

Limerick is a good race alright. Not much support in the first half but a good crowd around for most of the second half. A couple of drags but no challenging hills. Was well orgainised the year I ran it.

There's a 10% discount code that's good 'til midnight on Fri (1/11) - "2020". Mind you the 10% off offer will probably show up again later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Cartman78 wrote: »
    On a post marathon high at the minute and was looking at Manchester this morning :pac:

Brighton also seems decent from what I can gather (?)

Just to let you know, Brighton registration has closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭Cartman78

RubyK wrote: »
    Just to let you know, Brighton registration has closed.

Cheers - hadn't noticed that on the website actually :o

Was leaning towards Manchester anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Cheers - hadn't noticed that on the website actually :o

Was leaning towards Manchester anyway...

I ran Brighton this year, looking at Manchester for next year.

Brighton usually opens registrations mid April for a couple of months, and open an "interested" list in early October (after London ballot PFO mails are sent out) for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Going back to Manchester again next year too. Great well run event and I had a 18 minute PB there so enjoyed it ! Not sure if I'll knock the same again next time thou :)

I'd wouldn't recommend Belfast to anyone it was a sh1te-show for half a dozen reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

grimbergen wrote: »
    Belfast had a bad year this year based on the feedback I've seen. One thing I don't like is that the finish is different location to the start - do the organisers transfer the bags deposited or how does it work?

Yes, they transfer them from the start to the finish. The issue with that though was they had a system of throwing all the bags into the back of a van in any order and then the collection was 1 guy trying to find the bags which caused about an hour of queuing up to get your back bag. It was an absolute ****show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

KJ wrote: »
    Yes, they transfer them from the start to the finish. The issue with that though was they had a system of throwing all the bags into the back of a van in any order and then the collection was 1 guy trying to find the bags which caused about an hour of queuing up to get your back bag. It was an absolute ****show.

Even in Stormont when trying to drop a bag off, the truck had left mad early, so race stewards were just telling people to throw the bags in a heap at the top of the hill. Loads of bags went missing. There were so many major screwups at that race.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Going back to Manchester again next year too. Great well run event and I had a 18 minute PB there so enjoyed it ! Not sure if I'll knock the same again next time thou :)

I'd wouldn't recommend Belfast to anyone it was a sh1te-show for half a dozen reasons

Hi Bob. Any thoughts or suggestions for accommodation? The hotels nearby are crazy prices! Is it easy to get into the city centre after? Or from the centre out to the start?

Advertisement