Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge meteorite 28th October. Approx 18.57hrs

Options
  • 28-10-2019 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Anyone see this very impressive meteorite, amazing colour, huge light, orange and green in colour, looked like it was heading north east to south west. 3 second burn at least. Wow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ardfinnan2019

Macdarack wrote: »
    Anyone see this very impressive meteorite, amazing colour, huge light, orange and green in colour, looked like it was heading north east to south west. 3 second burn at least. Wow.

Hello, I saw it! I’ve never seen anything like it. I was heading for Ardfinnan after passing Cashel and it lit up the sky in front of me. My first thought was it was going to land out towards Cork! I clocked it just after 18:50 aswel. It’s funny because I was chatting to the kids this morning about Halley’s Comet and meteorites. Apparently there is a meteor shower tonight and tomorrow....it would be difficult to beat what I saw earlier tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Yes saw it over Drogheda too. Very impressive I was driving down the motorway. Typical my dashcam wasn't high enough to pick it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Yep saw that, was green and bright heading south west

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I saw it from the car in Galway city centre, in a very lit up area. About 18.55. It was a burning green-yellow colour. It glided relatively slowly westward, slower than most meteorites, for 4/5 seconds. I assumed it was a firework a few hundred metres above ground, and I thought someone is incredibly irresponsible setting off a firework sideways across the houses like that! Glad I spotted this thread now :) I have never seen a meteorite that big and prominent.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,644 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Oh my God !!! They’re here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Aliens have landed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Saw it from the motorway at Newry, big discussion in the car about what it was, assumed it was fireworks but confused about trajectory

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

The thread title , LOL, My heart is racing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

greasepalm wrote: »
    Aliens have landed?

Raid Baldonnel airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

What direction do I need to look, north dublin

BDI wrote: »
    What direction do I need to look, north dublin

Never mind that, the time travel part of it will be your main concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It's new/black moon today, so ideal conditions to welcome in signs from the skygods upset with the Brexit.
    Seen a similar yoke burning up back in 2011, lots of green colours (magnesium burning or something).
    Also seen one crash into the moon when walking the dog one evening, gave off a bright flash.

Wonder if tonight's NEO was a bit of 2019 UD7?
    It was locked in on an ‘Earth close approach” trajector for 10.28pm GMT.

There's also space rock due to fly by very early tommorow morning
    (Asteroid UB8) will approach Earth from a distance of 0.00127 astronomical units (au).
    It's also under 30ft so will just burn up if it gets too close while hobbling along at 23,600mph.

One of the best chances for splashdown is AG5 in 2040 (1:625).
    Maybe wear a hat, and good (Cat4) sunglasses that day.

NASA estimates a car-sized asteroid collides with Earth about once a year, and a football field-sized space rock slams into the planet roughly once every 2,000 years.

NASA estimates a car-sized asteroid collides with Earth about once a year, and a football field-sized space rock slams into the planet roughly once every 2,000 years.

Any idea what size something has to be to put on a show like what we can see in the dash cam footage posted?
    I imagine tiny and practically impossible to detect beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

tuxy wrote: »
    Any idea what size something has to be to put on a show like what we can see in the dash cam footage posted?
    I imagine tiny and practically impossible to detect beforehand.
    Only something larger than 35 meters across can pose a threat, otherwise it simply burns up. Unless there was a huge flash, shockwave and tsunami imminent (there isn't), likely just to have been something rather small.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Anyone any reports of any noise with this one?

The recent space junk was supposed to be heard over the northern half of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

We were travelling from Kildare to Waterford on the M9 yesterday evening and my wife, who was driving, drew my attention to a "firework" visible in the southern sky. I just looked up in time to see the tail end of it, and it did look like a firework because I thought I saw it disintegrate before fading.

It was only a coincidence that I even found out it was a meteor. I had been checking Twitter and AA Roadwatch on my phone to see if the motorway was going to be closed up ahead because we kept on passing ambulances. :eek: Turns out there was a bad crash on the N80 near Ballon (not fatal thank goodness). But in between reports of the crash, someone mentioned a meteor, and when I followed that thread further, it was clear that it was visible right across the country.

My son asked me what size the piece of debris would have been. I guessed the size of a child's fist. Am I way off?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Saw this myself around that time just before 7pm. Was driving near Ballymahon and saw a orange light travelling across the sky which then lit up and streaked across it, even saw it break up a little. Was amazing, never seen anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

RTE News saying it probably disintegrated over Tipperary which can't be right as I was in Cork City and saw it to the south of my location presumably out over the Celtic Sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

RTE News saying it probably disintegrated over Tipperary which can't be right as I was in Cork City and saw it to the south of my location presumably out over the Celtic Sea.

Same as that, I saw it travelling southish high over kerry and off towards the Atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

No one told me to look outside :(

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

….

….There's also space rock due to fly by very early tommorow morning
    (Asteroid UB8) will approach Earth from a distance of 0.00127 astronomical units (au)….It's also under 30ft so will just burn up if it gets too close while hobbling along at 23,600mph.....

Space Station
    Time: Wed Oct 30 6:21 AM, Visible: 4 min, Max Height: 68°,
    Appears: 15° above WSW, Disappears: 40° above E

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So where did it end up or do these things just burn up??

So where did it end up or do these things just burn up??

Burnt up I imagine only the large ones make it to ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

havent heard of any sound reports so it likely ended in the drink somewhere if any stones survived to the surface--the usual *rolls eyes* lol

Advertisement