Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas to celebrate a birthday

Options
  • 28-10-2019 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hope you have the time to read this and respond with ideas. Thank you so much in advance.
    I lost my fabulous Dad this year. He would have turned 80 this week. I used to always take him out for his birthday. I am devastated I cannot spoil him. Before he died, we spoke about organising a big shin ding for him but he knew he wouldn't live to see it.
    I want to put something (that the rabbits won't eat) on his grave but I also want to do something to celebrate the day...
    I am thinking of taking my mother out that evening but for such a milestone birthday it seems so ......meh
    I've bought Dad an 80th birthday card and its next to his photo at home. If there are any other ideas to make it special, I would love to hear them,

Thank you,
    A x

Comments

Sorry for your loss.

Is there something that he loved doing that you could do on the day? For example, if he loved hill walking, take everyone up on his favourite route on his birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ande1975

Thank you... Dad was a keep fit fanatic but he loved being indulged on this birthday :)
    Wonder if there is anything special I could get for his grave.... Balloons are a no no (mother would kill me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

You could make a donation to a charity that he cared about? If he liked gardening, plant something at home in his memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ande1975 wrote: »
    Thank you... Dad was a keep fit fanatic but he loved being indulged on this birthday :)
    Wonder if there is anything special I could get for his grave.... Balloons are a no no (mother would kill me)

Sorry for your loss . Was there a charity that was important to your Dad ? After my dad died I knew he was a great supporter of a children hospice . I sent money on his behalf to the building fund for Laura Lynn hospice . I put a brick on his grave with a note saying he had bought a brick to help build it .
    Not suggesting you buy a brick but maybe something like that that was close to his heart .

Ask your Mam to think of a place ye could go together, that means something to her because of a happy memory with your Dad, but somewhere you don’t really know about. A place they visited when they were courting, or where there was a dance hall they used to frequent, a place they went on holidays or anything like that. Give her a chance to share stories and memories with you, to remember a bit of craic or whatever involving your Dad and for you to keep getting to know him, even now.

Look back into your own past with your Dad as regards the grave and a little token of remembrance to bring along to his resting place. A favourite CD, a laminated poem or book cover, a photograph/postcard of a place ye visited with him as a kid.

I’ve lost my own Da not long ago and it’s the happy memories that mean the most to all of us now. He’d like to know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ande1975 wrote: »

Those little candles that people sometimes put on the final resting place of a family member are a quite nice way of remembering them I think.

Advertisement