Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Boiler Replacement - East Cork

Options
  • 28-10-2019 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi all, we've been having touble with our oil boiler (Firebird 90) pretty much every year since we moved in back in 2010. By trouble I mean just not starting, leaks etc. All small issues but it's every year and we usually get it up and running eventually. This year though we had it serviced as usual and not long after there was a proper leak. Got a different plumber over to fix it and it basically has not worked since. Have tried the usual bleeding of the water and oil points and the thermostat reset and main reset but no joy now. When switched on I can hear water (?) flowing in the pipes but it will not fire up. The last time it worked it seemed to only heat one radiator and eventually knocked itself off. When I went to check the boiler there was serious heat coming from the unit, the thermostat reset button actually stung to press it was so hot. We have another plumber due to call tomorrow.

Would it just be worth looking into getting a replacement boiler altogether? Not sure how old the boiler is but it was here when we moved in back in 2010 and it was fiddly even back then. Is there a store that anyone knows about in the Cork area I could pop in to? Or is it something a plumber would arrange? Anyone have a ballpark figure of how much a replacement should cost? Sorry, I'm a bit hopeless when it comes to this sort of thing!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Looks like you have been very unlucky with your boiler guys. You should get a service report after any work on it. That should have issues highlighted and recommendations as to what's needed, whether that be repair or boiler replacement.

You really need it looked at by a competent person who won't walk away leaving you wondering, what next.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Old McGroin

Wearb wrote: »
    Looks like you have been very unlucky with your boiler guys. You should get a service report after any work on it. That should have issues highlighted and recommendations as to what's needed, whether that be repair or boiler replacement.

You really need it looked at by a competent person who won't walk away leaving you wondering, what next.

I wish it were that easy, unfortunately I'm finding it extremely difficult to get a plumber out in general. I've spoken to several over the last couple of weeks that simply don't even get back to me. The lad popping out tomorrow was literally the only one to respond on Tradesmen.ie, looks like he has a lot of positive feedback on that site so fingers crossed.

Imho, you are barking up the wrong tree in looking for a plumber and looking in that manner.
    I would in the first instance look for a boilerman, who only does boilers. Should be a lot easier to get. Go to your nearest plumbing supplies (or oftec website) and ask for a recommendation for a boilerman.

Perhaps Tom44 who's a regular on here might see this and pm you a recommendation. Are you near Middleton or Youghall?

Imho, you are barking up the wrong tree in looking for a plumber and looking in that manner.
    I would in the first instance look for a boilerman, who only does boilers. Should be a lot easier to get. Go to your nearest plumbing supplies (or oftec website) and ask for a recommendation for a boilerman.

Perhaps Tom44 who's a regular on here might see this and pm you a recommendation. Are you near Middleton or Youghall?

I'm right in between them, Castlemartyr, 5mins to Midleton, 15mins to Youghal. Didn't even think to look for a boiler only guy to be honest! The plumber will be here at 9 in the morning so if there's no luck with him I'll go down that road. I'll have a look for Tom44 too and PM him. Thanks for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

PM and recommendation of a good local friend sent.

M

• Advertisement

Tom44 wrote: »

M

Much appreciated 👍

Tom44 wrote: »

M

So update, plumber has been and gone. He worked on a few things as well as the boiler and he did get it up and running again. Turned out it was simply the thermostat reset button needs to be pressed down harder/further than before.

He's gone now but we've been left with a recurring problem that still hasn't been solved. The oil will run away but everytime it switches off and we need it back on again we need to go out, open up the boiler and hit the thermostat reset button again. This isn't ideal during the winter when the oil won't come on when set to clock during the night. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to solve this?

You most likely need a pump over run setup.
    Or your boiler control stat might be broken.

Whole system might need flushing.

But BUT why didn't your plumber inform you of what was needed to sort it out.

In the short term turn your thermostat back to about 65.

You most likely need a pump over run setup.
    Or your boiler control stat might be broken.

Whole system might need flushing.

But BUT why didn't your plumber inform you of what was needed to sort it out.

In the short term turn your thermostat back to about 65.

I had informed him of the issue and asked about the temperature setting and he said it should be fine now at around 75. I have now set the temperature to 65, will see how that goes. If the problem persists I'll contact the man Tom44 recommended. Thanks. Should have pressed the plumber more on this, guess I was just relieved to have heat back in the house for my boys!

I had informed him of the issue and asked about the temperature setting and he said it should be fine now at around 75. I have now set the temperature to 65, will see how that goes. If the problem persists I'll contact the man Tom44 recommended. Thanks. Should have pressed the plumber more on this, guess I was just relieved to have heat back in the house for my boys!
    Fair enough.
    If 65 sorts it out , see if you can get to 70, or close to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭jimf

with the stat set to 75 when the boiler cuts out on the timer it also turns off the circulating pump

as wearb says turn it down to 65 if your issues are gone go up to 70 it may just be this simple or your stat could be acting up

Advertisement